Intermittent nausea for almost a week

Posted , 4 users are following.

So last week I started getting really nauseous. I assumed it was some kind of GI virus, because my boyfriend was experiencing some diarrhea and stuff which started the day before I started getting nauseous. For the first couple of days it was really bad and almost constant, then it calmed down but I'm still getting occasional bouts of nausea, maybe a couple times a day? As far as I can tell it isn't directly related to anything I've been eating. I have IBS, but it's never manifested with just nausea in the 8 years I've had it, so this feels like something else. My bowel movements have also been weird; for the first 24 hours I was feeling sick I went to the bathroom 5 times, and then it was pretty normal although there was less stool than normal, but I wasn't really eating so that made sense. This morning I had a really strange stool, like it wasn't loose but more fragmented, like there were air pockets inside the stool. I went to a nurse practitioner the second day and she said it sounded like a mild form of some stomach virus, but I've never had one that behaved like this before, so I'm wondering if there's anything else it could be? Pretty sure I'm not pregnant as my period just ended today (and I'm on birth control). Any ideas?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's related to some infection (as told by nurse about stomach bug) that may have upset your gut bacteria and caused nauseated feelings. 

These symptoms are sometimes related to noro virus, but maybe it can be any other kind. 

• Posted

A stomach bug will make your IBS worse.  Nausea is an IBS symptom and even if you have not had it before, IBS symptoms can change over time.  Change of bowel habit is also part of IBS.  I have had nausea with IBS.  Everyone experiences IBS differently.
  • Posted

Did you ever have any resolve with your nausea, I have the same exact scenario as you with similar circumstances. Just wondering how you are doing now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.