Interpretting Test Results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I had a 24 hour urine test that showed elevated cortisol levels. I then had a low dose 24 hour dexamethasone test. My results were as follows:

741 nmol/l

26.86 ug/dl

24 Hrs later:

57 nmol/l

2.07 ug/dl

I've read the threshold for normal results is 1.8 ug/dl...but I am sooo close? What do you all think?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suvoth, Can you please provide extra information.

Did you do a 24 hr urine which showed the high reading of 741nmol/l, then did you take a low dose dexamethazone at 11pm followed by an 8am blood test with results of 57nmol/l ?

Or did you do another 24 hr urine sample taking dexamethazone ev ery 6 hrs?

• Posted

Hi Deb3313,

I had a 24 hr urine test done a month or so again and my Endo called to let me know the results were high and then schedule the Low Dexematheson test. I didn't ask what my urine test results were at the time (silly me) but I called today to find out the results of the low dose dexa test. I haven't spoken to my endo about the results yet, just got the info from the secretary.

• Posted

Sorry, I meant to say my base reading was 741 nmol/l and the following morning was the 57 nmol/l for the low dexa test.
    • Posted

sigh, meant to say "ago" not "again" can't seem to edit my original reply to your post. 
    • Posted

Ok so if the 741nmol was before dexa and you took the one dose of dexa at 11pm and then an 8am bleed with a result of 57nmol/l its so close to a suppression result, I am sure your Endo will say you suppressed.

You will need to have further testing before they will diagnose. Usually the Endos will do several rounds of the same test each month for a few months, just to be sure. You should also be having ACTH levels checked.

• Posted

Ahh..thanks smile Now I know what to expect.
    • Posted

smile

Any further questions, just ask. Always happy to help smile

• Posted

Hi and welcome,  I am going task Debs to reply or Gill as they have records of their readings.  I was just so glad to be diagnosed with something after years of waiting!  Debs please help!
  • Posted

I see Debs has already been in touch!  She is brilliant with test things.  I can only offer suppoirt!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.