Interstitial Cystitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Guys, I just wanted to post my experience with Interstitial Cystitis and ask if anyone else has had as much  success with Marsmallow Tea as I have.  I started suffering from it 2 years ago and the last two years has been a voyage of discovery as to what works and what doesn't.  I had to cut out tea and coffee straight away and drank only water (this made a small difference).  Then I changed to filtered water which made a small difference.  Then I changed my diet completely - cutting out sugar and following a vegetarian/alkaline diet which made quite a big difference.  Taking pre and probiotic supplements also made a big difference.  At this point I felt like I was kind of on top of it...with the occasional flare to deal with.  Then early last week I started drinking Marshmallow Tea and have been drinking it 3 times a day since.  Well.  All I can say is - I feel normal again for the first time in 2 years!  I can't believe what a difference it has made.  Has anyone else had this experience?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi donna-marie. Ive had IC for fou years, its not very nice is it. No ive not tried marshmallow tea, I didnt think it was available in gt britain. I will definately try it. I have tried prelief, but I dont think its very different to bicarb of soda, which I do have if I think ive eaten something I shouldnt have. I do miss a nice cuppa, and fruit juices, also tomatoes. I hope the tea continues to work for you.

• Posted

Hi June, thank you for replying.  No it's not very nice!  I'd just got the hang of IBS before that that little monster decided to visit.  Bicarb of Soda is great a couple of hours after a meal if it's affected you.  I don't tend to take it before or around the same time as it can affect the stomach acid and stop you from digesting food properly.  Prelief is great if you know you're going to eat something naughty.  It strips out the acid in the food without affecting your stomach acid.  I can't believe how affective the marshmallow tea is! I know it might not agree with some people though.  I'm grateful its ok for me.  2 heaped teaspoons for a mug of tea.  It's loose tea though which is a bit of a pain but it's well worth it.  Let it brew for 5-10 minutes before drinking.  It tastes like very weak vegetarian gravy. Please let me know how you get on with it :-)

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

hi, i have been suffering from this condition for over 5 years and found nothing that helped ubtil eventually after dozens of visits to  gynaecologistsand several scans i was given Lyrica ,pregabalin 3 x daily,which iwas on for a year,then i started to get less pain and the 2nd year  1 took them twice a day and for the last 2 years approx ive gone down to 1 a day,and this takes care of it very well.I do not like being on medication,and find they are adictive if i happen to forget or try to reduce then too quickly.i have to do this very slowly or it very soon comes back with a vengeace......However,after reading your message i shall try the Marshmallow Tea,i`d love to feel `normal` again,thanks for the info.best regards.js
  • Posted

Hi Donna,thank you for your message,yes I have tried Bi Carb and it worked also with UTI,which I used to get a lot in the beginning,and was given Antibiotics  each time, which amounted to quite a lot during the course of a year,thankfully I dont get it so often now that the IC is under control..........must be something to do with too much acid i think......take care and best wishes.j
  • Posted

can u plz advise why bicarb is mentioned in regard to uti?
    • Posted

Hi marrie25474,

Bicard of soda is particularly helpful for uti's and people with interstitial cystitis as it neutralises acid in the urine, causing the burning sensation to stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.