Interstitial cystitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had burning in my urethra for about a few weeks now. It comes and goes. Do you think it is caused from the soap im using or do i sit too much

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi do you have frequency along with the burning, or pain passing urine, it could be infection or a bit of inflammation caused by intesticial cystitus, you can check symptoms on c.o.b site see if simular,. if its worse after using the soap it seems probable cause, stop using it for a while, or try a simple type soap,   If it persists take a sample into gps to be checked.  
    • Posted

Hi Lynn i have the burning but not so much the frequency. I dont think it a bladder infection. It feels as if its all in the urethra and i might have a few symptoms of thrush even though i have not been on any antibiotics. I will definitely change the soap i am using . Thanks for your reply and help.
  • Posted

Hi Emma... something else worth throwing out is the quality and health of your skin. The urethra can become very tender and irritated if you have dry skin from estrogen atrophy. It's easy for doctors to diagnose AND it is usually treated with a simple, compounded estrogen cream to improve skin quality. 

Also... chemical sensitivity is very common ad not just bath soaps but also laundry detergents and, most importantly, fabric softeners. Use a very mild bath soap (i.e. Dove or Basis), use a baby laundry detergent like Dreft and rinse twice to remove all detergent residue. And don't use any fabric softeners or anything that puts a scent in the clothing. I've had burning several times from fabric softeners and detergents like Cheer. 

• Posted

Thanks jill32243 i will definitely see what detergents i am using. I usually only use Ariel washing liquid and Comfort Fabric Softener. I could very well be estrogen depleted because i have done the menopause thing. Will keep what you said in mind thanks once again.
  • Posted

Dear Emma,

Have you received a diagnosis of interstitial cystitis? I'm curious because it is my understanding that the burning in IC does not come and go--it is constant. It also is excruciating. Have you seen a urologist? Did he or she give you recommendations for treatment? I am seeing a urologist tomorrow for what I believe to be IC.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.