Intimacy after Hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Hipsters ...having my pre op tomorrow so I am praying I get my new hip before Xmas ..any way a question , I ave just started dating after a long time on my own and was wondering when it is posssible to become intimate after HIp replacement , every body is diffferent, but just an idea of how long would help ..

thanks in advance guys 

Amanda x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi mandy,

You are right everyone is different, I think the reccomendation is 6-12 weeks, obviously there are various ways to be intimate without too much stress on the hip I put a link below BUT YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE UNDERSCORES WITH .

It will all be fine, good luck

totallyhip1_tripod_com/educate/sexthr_htm

• Posted

Hi Hank 

thank you for the info  , will check it out now 

• Posted

Depends on your approach I would think. I had anterior and it was 4 weeks for me.  Just be a little cautious and you'll be fine. 

• Posted

I had posterior approach was told after 7 week checkup could try but missionary only. However. I was so scared of dislocating hip waited 12 weeks till all restrictions off. Plus it depends how you feel. As I had had an infection after surgery and temporary nerve damage. Didn't actually feel like it till that stage anyway lol xx

• Posted

hi Auntie Beanie 

yes think you are right it will all depend on the individual ...

time will tell , and I'm sure I am worth waiting  for lol xx

• Posted

I have covered this in my website - full of tips from hippies on this forum, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Go to the 'Long Term Recovery' section 

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Heh, what about the important things... can you give us tips on dating???? biggrin

• Posted

Hi Beth ...

i used to to be a serial dater lol ..but have been Baren for almost three years ( my choice ) 🤗 

Getting used now to someone wanting to date me , but soooooo independent and have health issues , luckily at the mo he is prepared to wait but we shall see lol 

maybe we should have a hipsters party night out 🤓 

• Posted

Sounds like a good man there if he is prepared to wait for you - very considerate.  My wife got a bit cheesed off without any intimacy after my hip op, and the following revision 10 weeks later - so just a small 4 week window in between recovery and revision.  Hope you have a good time together. cheesygrin

• Posted

He has already waited almost 2 years for me , so a few more weeks ahead won't hurt him 😁 .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.