Introduction.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here. I've suffered anxiety/depression for most of my adult life. Due to the job I had and the person I married, I've got through the last twenty years or so by self medicating and for various reasons avoided any real therapy. I'm now at a point in my life where my anxietys becoming almost unmanageable. It has had a terrible effect on almost every aspect of my life.

If anyone has any advice on methods of managing anxiety or just ways of coping with the worst symptoms, I'd be very grateful to hear from you

Thank you

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Therapy is a good place to start,regardless of how long you may have had issues. Medication works for some in the short term,but longer term therapy is often the way to go.
    • Posted

Thank you, is there any particular type of therapy that I should seek out. Do you think a qualified counsellor would help or should I make an appointment to see a psychologist? I've read and heard about so many different therapeutic options I'm confused and anxious about making the wrong decision.
    • Posted

Well the type to avoid if cbt, for many it's very ineffective. Each branch of therapy really is very individual so a psychotherapist is probably the best judge. Counselling isnt like therapy,so I'd avoid that, a proper therapist should be able to guide you
    • Posted

Thank you, that's useful advice. A friend keeps suggesting CBT, but from what I understand of it I wasn't sure it was for me. I will make an appointment with a psychotherapist. I'm just going to force myself to do it, by telling myself it's just one appointment. Then, I can tell myself it's just one more.
    • Posted

Therapy is a good experience,theres nothing to dread. It can be difficult initially,but I'd much rather be in therapy trying to get better than stuck on meds hoping things will miraculously resolve. Yeah give cbt a miss,its largely pointless for longer term issues
    • Posted

Its a mix depending on your specific underlying cause. Cbt works on half the people who use it, but again this can be as good or not from the counselor you use. It is not for the passive person. Its work. Its more of a knowledge based thing. To help you handle symptoms and stress. A therapist would be needed if circumstances have brought you to this point to figure out rationale issues and understand yourself. Also will be as good as the therapist you see and your honesty. Mindfullness is fantastic. It teaches proper breathing and awareness but in a calm manner. You will learn at some point blaming others for your own issues has to be addressed. I say that kindly. You are responsible for your thoughts and choices. That therapy is very good for. Im not saying people cant play a huge role but there are choices along the way, and if you made the wrong ones, or what you thought was the best decision and it wasnt easier to take ownership for it so therapy would be successful. We make our own happiness, our attitudes, perceptions and thought processes create a happy world or an uncomfortable world. Holding grudges, resenting another, playing helpless all the negative angry feeling you hold in hurt you in the end. Its like drinking poison and expecting the other person to fall ill, it wont ever work. Panic attack stink. Its a sensory processing disorder in its essence. Whether its from an overload of sensory sensations, trauma, illness, something formed that straight route from fear to panic. The fight or flight response. Health anxiety does make rationale sense as you have a chronic pain, or a odd pain and your brain would say what is this..and the plight begins. Its self preservation. The only major problem is its a false alarm sounding off. Your sensory processing is mal functioned. Cbt takes you through the moments. The rationale. The understanding of this. If that clicks then it will work, but its a process in itself not a given because you go or read it. Its to change your thoughts. So dont downgrade it. The doesnt seem to be one answer that fixes this all yet, thats why meds dont always work. Science has not pinpointed it down to a universal fix at all, it encompasses the whole body so its hard. The mind is one very powerful thing. It will validate anything you think if you let it. People forget sometimes you do not have to run with every thought you have, you do not have to believe every thought you have. You dont. You need good skills to rationalize out your thoughts. Skills to self calm as your body has an issue with that

regulating it on its own.  As self calming not being on auto matic (dysfunction). Self hypnotizing yourself with negative thoughts is a bad idea.that has to change. Maybe you can say positice stuff and reverse some of this. Affirmations. Spend on day from when you wake to when you sleep and have a small note pad and a pen..make a line everytime you have a negative thought. Dont cheat! Dont use your rationale that but i felt a pain..its a negative thought.. You will be mind blown by the results. You will see what you are doing. Then you will need to learn how to turn around those thoughts and i would recommend learning cbt with therapy as well..two different things. If needed even meds, only if needed. They have actual centers for anxiety and panic disorders that offer an array of techniques. You would have to google this for your area. Saying all that always also be sure to get a full exam and bloodwork. Then begin yiur journey.

• Posted

Thank you Lisa, There's a lot of good information I can make use of in your response. I'm very encouraged by the kind advice and help people have taken the time to offer me. I really do appreciate it. For the first time in a long time I've had a day where I can see a glimmer of hope.

Im prepared to do the hard work, because life in general is hard work at the moment.

Once again, thank you for kindly taking the time to respond to me with such a wealth of useful information.

• Posted

what are your symptoms ian?i am suffering with chronic health anxiety and im really struggling,theres some excellent advice and help from the people on here
    • Posted

The worst symptoms are chronic, intractable insomnia, hyper vigilance and horrible panic attacks. I also have a general anxiety that's just with me all the time and lately I've been getting very worried, almost obsessed that I have cancer, or that I'm going to go blind. I know how silly that sounds.
    • Posted

doesnt sound silly at all,im convinced i have ms,3 doctors have told me i dont,my symptoms are tingly feet,numb tingly hand and a constant numb tingly face that freaks me out daily,its been going on since february,i totally get what youre going thru
  • Posted

The crux of an anxiety disorder is the complete inability to be at peace with the present moment.  Always expecting the other shoe to drop.  Whatever has happened is immaterial.  Whatever might happen is rarely in your power.

To lessen the anxiety is a battle and I really feel for you.  I find that exercise really helps me, and also distraction - focus on the good moments, be the best version of you and sometimes facing your fears and challenging them is good for overcoming them.  

The other resort is seeing your doctor, explaining how anxiety is taking over your life in a miserable way.  Some medications really do help ease the stress and anguish to regain a better outlook and peace of mind.

• Posted

Thank you, I appreciate your practical advice. I am already on medication for my insomnia and medication for my panic attacks. To be honest, the medication isn't working so well now. I became very worried that it was making me worse and I stopped taking the medication I take for my panic attacks. I became quite ill and my limbs began to make independent sudden jerking movements. My ex wife told me I woulld have a seizure if I didn't start taking the medication again. So I am taking it again. It doesn't help anymore but I can't stop taking it. It's quite depressing really.
  • Posted

Have you reconsidered getting a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.