Involuntary movements question

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I have been experiencing a number of troubling symptoms and was hoping to hear from someone who has been there.

I will try to be brief (sorry, long...). I have been to a first appointment with a neurologist, and had an MRI, but it is such a long time until my next appointment.

Beginning March 2016, involuntary jerking of right leg when relaxing on couch. Several times each evening. Progressed to left leg also, then eventually became a backward jerking movement of pelvis in september. Occurs most often when first lying down in bed at night or when relaxing in evening on couch. Then it progressed in november to a forward lunging movement of left shoulder many times throughout the day, most often when not as busy. Was told by neurologist that this is called myoclonus.

I also get a feeling like a tremor in my face a few times a day. No one has said they notice my face shaking, but I can feel it. Hard to explain.

Very rarely I get a resting tremor in my thumb.

I also get mild vertical double vision several times per week, lasts less than a couple hours each time then returns to normal. Was told by eye dr this is fourth cranial nerve palsy, but he is not sure if is related to other movements.

Also, may be unrelated, but have osteoarthritis of thoracic spine for past two years. and numbness in toes, as well as either arthritis or nerve pains in my feet. ( The foot pains and numbness has been ongoing for more than 12 years... Not new)

Had a wierd virus in 2012 that caused a reactive inflammatory arthritis in hands, knees and feet.

MRI and CT scans show nothing abnormal growing in spine or brain (whew)

Anyone experience these kinds of movements? It is very troubling and I have to wait such a long time till my next neurologist visit. She seems to be focusing for some reason on my toe numbness and won't give me another appointment until I see an orthotics doctor. I am mostly concerned about the more recent involuntary movements, and am frustrated that I can't get more information from her to ease my worries.

(Also Had hysterectomy in 2015. Could this be related?)

Any suggestions for me?

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

yes, i started experiencing something similar starting about a year ago.  i had a twitch start in my stomach that eventually became a more severe jerk/pull that would occur all over my body.  my shoulders jerk, and also my torso, stomach, arms, legs, neck, head, etc.

they predominantly happen at rest, when i am driving and resting in bed.  i have other symptoms too, but they're seen as more psychological and are usually pinned on my unsettling anxiety.  but who wouldn't have anxiety after experiencing things like this.  not that i would say i even ever feel anxious, but that is what my symptoms have been pinned on by my GP and a neurologist.  my neurologist was actually certain that there was nothing neurologically wrong with me, because unfortunately my body would no longer produce these jerks while in her office, and my strength and coordination was enough for her to disapprove of my fears.

• Posted

I had muscle jerks in my legs and arms. I probably had over a 100 an hour and now they are gone. However, I still have the jerking at night. Right before I enter sleep, my body jerks. Either a leg kicks out or my neck comes off my pillow. I'm still trying to figure out what this is. I'll keep checking back! This can get so frustrating!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.