Iron deficiency anaemia

Posted , 5 users are following.

can anyone help.

66 year old husband who has always been fit and healthy developed unstable angina and within three days was fitted with a stent.  This was at the end of January.  Not been feeling too great since a few days after and now the doc has said he is suffering from anaemia and will have to go for a colonoscopy.

hubby cant understand this as he was never anaemic before.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice, thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Isabel,

I too was told that I was anemic and was given folic acid and iron pills to take. I took them 6 weeks and then had the colonoscopy and endoscopy done to see where any bleeding, ( even the slightest amount ) was coming from. The Dr. told me that I my stomach had a lot of erosions most likely caused by the celebrex I was taking for arthritis. Your husband may have the same so tell him to have the colonoscopy it may just lead you to the answers for his anemia

God bless, Pam

• Posted

Thankyou Pam,

After having the stent fitted he was put on statins, amlodipine, ticagrelor(to prevent blood clotting round the stent) and low dose aspirin.

the doc let him come of the statins as they made him feel awful also the amlodipine as his blood pressure was normal but he still felt "not right" so had more blood tests done. He is finding it hard to understand as even getting a stent fitted came as a shock as he only had a pain like indigestion for three days when they took him off to hospital to do this. Hopefully he will get the colonoscopy and endoscopy quickly as the doc wants it treated as urgent.

• Posted

Hi Isabel,

Sometimes anemia is part of the cause of our heart issues.  As Pam said, do have your hubby get his colonoscopy because it'll greatly help find where the bleeding is coming from.

• Posted

Thanks

From what we were told he had a small kink in his artery that was getting blocked by cholesterol and it caused angina.  The surgeon said everywhere else was clear and he expected to be back to normal after having the stent fitted.  Instead he feels worse and having been a very fit and active person (25 years in the forces) he is not coping to well with illness.  He will definitely have the colonoscopy and endoscopy as we need to get this sorted.

• Posted

I'm 67 & I've never had anemia before either.  I am hypothyroid though & have been for 50 years.  My ferritin level is very low & my doctor is worried & wants me to get injections.  I've been researching & low ferritin can mean the beginnings of anemia, but it can also mean other diseases.  Get a second opinion.  That's the advice I've been giving & it can't hurt.  I read where taking iron pills can help if you are moving into anemia however if it is something else taking the iron pills can be harmful.  A 2nd opinion can't hurt.
  • Posted

I am not sure but angina is caused by a lack of blood flow to the heart. Maybe this is causing not enough iron rich blood to pump through the body causing anemia. Do the doctors or the cardiologist not know why? I guess they think it has something to do with his colon.
    • Posted

Stent fitted in January sorted out angina.  No more pain since.

docs dont know what is causing anaemia, colonoscopy and endoscopy are just a stab in the dark at the moment.  He has not been referred back to cardiologist as yet and havent heard from hospital about other tests although it was supposed to be considered urgent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.