Iron Deficiency Anaemia and investigation in female age 42

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with ID Anaemia 6 weeks ago, hemoglobin of 8.2 and very low ferritin level. I have been sent a letter to go for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I am only 42 years old. I told the gp I had no bowel problems so I've got myself worked up as to why I need these things done. I'm petrified to be honest. I thought the scopes were exclusive to oner 50 or post menopausal women. Has anyone experienced similar. My symptoms include fatigue, sleeping all the time, itching on body, headaches... Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Marybeth,

I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this but with your low blood levels it is probably a wise decision on your Dr.s part to rule out anything imnternal along the digestive track. And if it is all clear they can then further their investigation, possibly a GYN. I know it isn't a pleasant experience but hopefully all goes well. I'm not sure specifically about post menopause but they do scopes at any age with certain criteria.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I didn't realise 8.2 was such a low result until I  looked it up tonight. I have just got a balance with the iron tabs but now have to stop for a week to get the scopes done. I'm really hoping they are not too horrendous x
  • Posted

Hi marybeth72

Has the doc tested your B12 as you can be deficiant in iron with this deficiency. You have symptoms i have, and i have B12 deficiency. My haemaglobin is fine at 13 but my ferritin has been falling this past year and now 17 but some people with this deficiency can be very low in Haemoglobin and ferritin. Just something to look at if your examinations come back ok. x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply smile I don't know if I've been tested for B12 deficiency... I will certainly ask more about this as it's never been mentioned. I went to get bloods done on Monday and a celiac Test but found out yesterday my doc had not done a fbc and have to go back next week. It's all a bit puzzling. I told doc on Monday about my itchy skin but it was brushed off without a word from them. Every bit of info helps so thank u x
  • Posted

My mother had similar symptoms, but without the itching. The endoscopy showed that she had stomach ulcers. A further endoscopy type procedure where they go further than the stomach, showed another ulcer in the intestine. These needed to be treated. Try not to panic. Your itchy skin maybe unrelated and hence ignored for now.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying Laura. In a way I hope my endoscope shows something too. I will not worry too much about the itchy skin for now as it is more than likely unrelated. Hope your mum is well and much better now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.