IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME

Posted , 3 users are following.

WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH IBS I WAS DETERMINED TO FIND OUT WHAT EFFECTED ME - IT BECAME TRIAL AND ERROR WITH FOOD - BUT IT DIDN'T TAKE ME LONG TO FIND OUT IT WAS WHEAT PRODUCTS AND OILY FISH - AFTER A YEAR BEING FINE - I DECIDED TO HAVE SALMON SANDWICHES AT A PARTY THINKING I WILL BE ALRIGHT -BUT NO AFTER BEING FINE -I ENDED UP GOING TO THE DOCTORS IN ACUTE PAIN- HE CALMLY SAID TO ME - I THOUGHT YOU WERE COPING QUITE WELL WITH YOUR DIET (NO WHEAT NO OILY FISH) I OWNED UP ABOUT THE SALMON.

WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE FISH ? I HAVE ALL MY LIFE ADORED IT.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear jeannette,

I have had IBS for the last two years. For me the things I must not eat are wheat, fat or oil, milk, cheese, citrus fruit, coffee, alcohol and fizzy drinks. I am fairly sure that you would have been OK with the salmon, it is the oil that will play you up. If I eat just a little oil or butter I find my colon cramping badly and it will not let me sleep on my back or on either side. The last time this happened I had to sleep in the chair.

Remember, you are not alone, there are lots of us with the same symptoms as you. I hope this helps you in some way.

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas

Robert

• Posted

Janet, was the salmon cooked in oil or did it have oil with it. You see there are several things that ee must not have and oil is one of them

I have found I must avoid wheat, dairy food, tea, coffee, alcohol, fizzy drinks, spicy food, acidic foods, fats and OILS, chocolate. I you are anyhing like me you will leave these foods alone. Also drink plenty of water and get lots of rest. Try not to get stressed about things as this will make your condition worse.

Hope this is of some use.

bob.

• Posted

Ibs is soo damn frustrating. If I eat gluten or have too much sugar I get major problems. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, had no problems with bowel movements and everything was like clockwork.

Now I'm managing to cope with a big diet change, have anxiety that I'm trying to control and constantly analyse my diet. It's ruining me!

But that's ibs. If it irritates you don't eat it. No matter what!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.