Irritating cough and skin problems with Ramapril

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on a low dose of Ramapril for about 5 years now and although I have experienced an annoying cough on and off over the years I now seem to have it permenately (since before Xmas2014) but I have also developed a skin rash affecting my upper arms, upper thighs and calves. Has any

one else had this localised skin problem. I am aware that Ramapril can lead to a cough but unsure about the localised skin problem

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You need to see your GP.  I don't know about skin probs with Ramipril because I have auto immune skin probs anyway but I do know about the cough!  My GP changed my medication

• Posted

Thanks. Looks like a trip to the GPARIS is in order. I know others have had skin problems but have't seen any comments about it being local to the areas mentioned
  • Posted

Go back to your GP and ask them to change it.

Have you read the leaflet that coms with Ramipril it may be that a rash is listed among the problems list.

It's often a first line pill I think because it's cheap. However I was OK on the lowest dose and then the dose was raised after a month and then the cough started. The dr changed me to Losartan which has no side effects.

• Posted

Rash is one of the multitude of side effects listed!

• Posted

I thought it might be! I sometimes think these pharma folk list all the known side effects and then add more. Just to be on the safe side in case someone sues them !!!
    • Posted

You are right, apprently it is done especially for the US market because of the possibility of being sued.
  • Posted

Yes,I only took Ramapril for a number of months but amongs the side effects I developed a skin rash on my right arm just above my wrist. It consisted of a line of red blister type spots. It seemed impervious to ointment and only started to receed when I stopped taking Ramapril. It has left me with small scars. I never developed the cough like you have but I have no doubt it is down to this drug.
  • Posted

AS FAR AS THE ramapril Cough is concerned, I found that switching to the version marketed by TEVA reduced the cough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.