Is anyone on beta blockers but have asthma ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been wanting to ask my doctor for beta blockers but I have read that they are a no no for people with asthma... is anyone on them with asthma??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi misssunshine

I took Betablockers for a couple of years

There are different types some like Propranolol are Non-Selective

while others are Cardio Selective Cardi-selective could be an option but you must discuss this with your GP .I have had  issues with seasonal (MILD)Asthma

since i was young which comes and goes I took Propranolol for a couple of years

but in 2012 in winter  months had some issues had to use the Asthma Steriod sprays Brown for 3 months and blue when required.I cant be certain it was the

Propranolol but it was possible.Stopped using them* (tappered off them  slowly which is best to do as it is dangerous to just stop taking them )* as they were given for me to take after Heart Valve Repair but as their is no clinical data or clinical trials to have to take them as i have no other issues

i decided through  the advice of my Cardiologist and GP that it was really

something they give as protocol for 3 months for Afibralation.

Below .....British Heart Foundation Quote:

"""Is there anybody who shouldn’t be prescribed a beta blocker?

There are some conditions in which beta blockers are not recommended. This includes uncontrolled heart failure, hypotension (low blood pressure), certain problems with the rhythm of your heart, or bradycardia (a very slow heart beat). If you have been diagnosed with asthma or another lung disease, beta blockers are not normally prescribed because they can occasionally provoke severe asthma attacks. Your doctor will consider the balance of benefits versus risks."""

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters-magazine/medical/drug-cabinet/beta-blockers

So best to talk with your GP and even ask a Cardiologist these important question good luck and good health misssunshine hope all works out well for you,

• Posted

I think you should leave that decision to your doctor. Don't ask for beta blockers unless they are really necessary as they make you feel deadly tired and lacking in energy.

• Posted

This. 

I have asthma and I'm taking a beta blocker that doesn't clash with my inhaler. There are blockers out there that won't, however if your doctor doesn't think you need it, don't take it. They will make you feel nauseous, tired, out of energy, and make doing things a bit more difficult than they once were. 

If you doubt your dr, go get a second opinion from another dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.