Is blood test enough

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have symptoms associated with cushings. I noticed them myself. I am concerned I have the following, buffalo hump, moon face (looking unusually large now), sweating till I feel dribbled down my body and its dripping down my face and dropping off my nose, obesity, abdominal fat, I look the full 9 months pregnant I need size 20 odd for abdomen but size 16 fit my sides best. I have high colesterol, it was nearly 8 at one point. high blood pressure, high pulse. Worst of all is my memory I spend all day doing things and going to places I can not remember why. I am forgetting where my doctors is whilst driving and I have been there a lot. I am looking for milk in my fridge when I have just got it out, I have had a lypoma removed. I have severe depression. I am wired at night and am most awake 9pm until 3pm. I have cherry angiomas on chest and abdomen, I feel weak in my legs, I have lupus anticoagulant, I keep getting high creatine blood tests, high urea blood tests. I have swellings in the side of my neck. My periods are ok I only very rarely miss one and I do not have stria. I asked GP to check me out I wanted the urine test. He said it could just be the way my fat was distributing itself. I have had this for 10 years. I cant cope with the brain fog and sweating and feel ugly. He gave me blood cortisol test it was 288 I had my sex hormones checked, my free lipids. I am still concerned though do you think this is enough? I also have a massive ovarian tumour Endometrioma and I had precocious puberty at 7. Please somebody in the know advice me if you can. Im so desparate.

Sam

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam,  My goodness you have a lot to cope with.  You have so many symptoms that I suspect your GP may not have seen a Cushings patient and is overwhelmed.  I would hope that he or she would send you to an Endocrinologist who speciales in this sort of problem.  Some of your symptoms do sound like Cushings but I was tested for about 8 different diseases before Cushings.  Has your Gp just left it at that?  If so can you go again to see either them or a new one.  Take someone with you.  You may like me be overwhelmed by all that is said.  My hubby comes with me and writes it all down.  I am hoping Debs will reply or Gill as Debs is brilliant at facts and figures.  Please dont feel down.  It can take years and a vey good GP to be diagnosed.  The Gp must catagorically rule things out and then send you to the Endo.  Please take care, we are here for you.  Debs, Gill any thoughts?

• Posted

Thanks so much Vicky. I think they put everything down to depression. I feel as if they think you are are a hypocondriact for coming with concerns over something due to research. I initially researched the unsightly buffalo hump you see. He point blank refused to even look at my buffalo hump. He did look startled at the size of my abomen. It is just like the photographs I have seen and apart from the stria I look like the people on the posters so much. I think you are right he doesn't know much about it. I see a different GP every time I go to my doctors. He thought I had come with a string of complaints didn't even seem to know they all can come under one thing and I was trying to explain correlations. Thanks once again I appreciate it.
  • Posted

sorry that should read 9pm until 3am
  • Posted

Hi Sam,so sorry to hear you're struggling like this. You need to get a GP who will really listen to you. Write everything down,as you've just done here,and let them draw their own conclusions with the full picture. If possible,show photos of how you looked before all these symptoms.Have you had thyroid blood tests done?

Try seeing another doctor,if you can,and tell them how worried you really are,but make sure they have the FULL list of symptoms.Good luck.Gill

• Posted

Hi again.  I am not sure that the insomnia is typical of Cushings but I do sympathise.  I am coming off my sleeping tablets and it is hel;l.  I like you go to sleep about 3 and then have nightmares.  Let us know how you get on and I hope you get other replies.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you are so ill. You must be seeing a Gynaecologist for the Ovarian tumour. It sounds as though you should also be refered to an Endocrinologist for further tests as you have several problems that are complicated. I hope you get to see a consutant soon.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.