Is CFS a disability?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am currently applying for jobs, but I am unsure answer yes or no to the do you have a disabilty? question. I do have CFS, which does impact my life, although I am able to work. What do you think?

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think if you are not 'registered disabled' then the answer is 'No'. Isn't that what they mean when they ask that question??
  • Posted

I would of thought that having an impairment or chronic illness would be classed as dissabled? Isn't being disabled and having a dissability the same thing? Whether you're registered or not. Correct me if I'm wrong xx
  • Posted

There is a definition for disability on the Internet and it basically says any physical or mental illness which effects your everyday tasks and it's something which has lasted for or is likely to last 12 months or more.

It doesn't necessarily mean you have to be registered disabled. I am not registered disabled and I have Menieres Disease, Fibromyalgia and CFS all of which are classed as disabilities. I always put on job applications that I have a disability as if something happens at work and they're not aware of my condition then how can I expect them to help me...?

• Posted

I put on my applications that I have a disability as well Stephanie I'm not registered disabled either. I work part time but my employer knows I have limitations and she's great if I need rest. I also have to sign in jsa because I work under 16 hours and I always see the disability advisor there xx
  • Posted

I'd seek advice from patients groups and those an employment advisor on how declaring it as a disability is likely to help/hurt you.
  • Posted

Thanks for all your advice, I have contacted Action ME and goign to speak to my university careers advisors. I will let ou know how I get on.
    • Posted

Good luck hun and keep us informed. It'll be interesting to know x
  • Posted

That is a difficult one, but I would be honest if I were you good luckbiggrin
  • Posted

I live in Canda and have cfs (recently changed to systemic exertion intolence disease). Here one is considered disabled if they have qualified for disability. If I had any say anyone with cfs would have a disabilty status.

I am always hesitant to say anything to an employeer about being disabled at a job interview - or even when I'm hired. Too many stigmas. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I feel I must say something about the rediculous new name.

SYSTEMIC EXERTION INTOLERENCE DISEASE.

What on earth are they (whoever they are) thinking of, have some people have nothing else to do with there time, bet they haven't got M.E. or C.F.S.!!!!!!!!

• Posted

If you're able to apply for jobs you don't have CFS!!!!
    • Posted

...For some of us, not working is not an option. If my health had its way, I wouldn't have to work at all but with a mortgage and children, I just can't afford to stay at home... I have to fight my health every day and yes it's tough....
    • Posted

Indeed true, i worked so long with illness i now have several problems with my heart too, i no longer work, due ot ill health. I battled back from ME once, got into reasonable remission (two years) and then thanks to lack of support at work went back to being very ill, and then heart problems really kicked in. There is a limit to how much fight one can put in before something breaks. At 52 i am not happy with my life or what i can achieve.
    • Posted

It is physically impossible to work if you have M.E. as bad as I have it, so you can't be to bad, probably just have it mild.

All the best with your job and I hope it doesn't make you worse.

• Posted

Hi Georgia as much as I agree with your statement, I have to disagree, looking at it in a positive way it all depends on the type of work and for how long you do it each day.an example being putting letters into envelops for an hour or two a day is perhaps possible and its work? 

whereas more physical or mentally demanding work may not be possible.

• Posted

As I said if you're capable of working are you sure you have ME? Might just be normal exhaustion.
    • Posted

I'm studying for a degree from home and I'm going to study proof reading and copy editing if I can manage to stay alive that long. Physical things are impossible.
    • Posted

Being forced to resign because of fibromyalgia / CFS has made me question my capabilities. Unfortunately being incapable doesn't pay the bills and there's no way I'm giving up my house. I need to earn money as my husbands earnings don't cover all the outgoings. I'm not entitled to any benefits so I'm torn between capability and necessity.... Life's a bitch....
    • Posted

HI Georgia, I have to agree with dragontest, work is possible I managed to work with cfs/me for over 5years until a major relapse.  Symptoms and pain do differ for everyone.  I was working part time 5 hours a day but somedays only managed 2 hours.  Think working is good if you are able.

Tx

• Posted

Wish I was, I'm probably being grumpy and jealous. rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi Both, Stephanie, i know its after the event but... dont resign due to health let em or make em dismiss you resigning affects benefits (ie your choice even if ill health still you made that choice) I have now been dismissed due to ill health and will be trying benefits at end of march. it is tough working with ME and though a previous manager was a pain in some ways he was very very supportive and helped me over two years get my life back and working well, then applied for a "better" job and was doing ok until the manager was changed after another two years to a so called robust manager and after just over two years of increasing hell here i am...I really enjoyed the job too... With support and understanding it is possible to work depending on how ill you are, bearing in mind that the symptoms range from the worst flu ever through to "just" feeling exhausted. I was mid to ill range but due to my athletics training and being quite bminded i drove myself along... hence i guess now why i am quite broken really... it is suprising what can be done but it isnt all about drive it is also about what is sensible.... and that is a wide margin.
    • Posted

working from home is a great idea as you can plan your day... wel ldone and darn good ideas too, proof reading... hmmm....
    • Posted

Whilst I can still walk, talk and do things for myself I'm not entitled to any benefits. My husband earns too much for other benefits but not enough to live on.....😕
    • Posted

...surely the downside of being dismissed makes it difficult to find another job?...and what do you put on your CV??
    • Posted

hmmm partly true, but it also says a lot about those who dismissed you. The same sort of argument applies to resigning - i resigned because i couldnt do the job due to lack of support or they dismissed me because i was ill a lot and they wouldnt support my efforts to stay in work, however if they dismised you it does say you were trying to keep going... dificult but... i know if i do get well enough my argument will be i was trying but they would support me... alos on the benefits front they dont like resigners which was the main bit behind what i was saying...  You do make a good point, but i feel it is better to say i was trying they wouldnt let me as apposed to i left because ... that will be on my cv and on applications i will also say where i am health wise which means i am having to look at some aspect of early retirement and working from home in some way. (who will employ someone with a 40% chance of heart attack at anytime and has ME as well? i am not sure if i will employ me...) but will try...   
    • Posted

Me too, I have not worked since 2013 and didn't realise how much I would miss it.  Never thought I would say that.  Makes you really fed up doesn't it.  Can't imagine not working for so long.  Just keep remembering you are not alone, that's what I have to do and have felt so much better since finding you guys using this sight.wink

Best wishes

Tx

• Posted

Hi Andrew,  oh how so much does your text read like my own experience.  I too had a very supportive manager who was also a director.  He left a new manager was put in place of the service I was co-ordinating and yep two years after that I went from being able to work with cfs for 5 years to being here.  Mobility was affected have had to use wheelchair, house been adapted inside and out.  You are so right about benefits, I did not resign I let them get rid of me, even though it was very stressful I still think it is the better approach because of benefits.  Anyone struggling with benefits in the UK please please take a look at the "Action for ME" site on the web it covers everything and has a welfare line.

Regards

Tx

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

I can still walk  and do things myself and know of other people with cfs in the same boat.  You are entitled to PIP, Personal Independence Payment and you are allowed to work with this benefit and it is not means tested.  Yet again I mention the Action for M.E. site which will tell you all about it and your entitlement.

Good luck

Tx

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, I was in the same position of being dismissed, sent to work capability meeting etc.  However, i was not given the support I was suppose to have under the Equality Act 2010, and I managed to get them to make be redundant which was the better option.   Please look at the site I have mentioned in previous message which will help you with your legal rights and also advice when and if returning to work.

Good luck

Tx

• Posted

There are different levels of CFS (mild,moderate and severe) and it is recognised that you can work and take part in activities and still have the condition, as I did. I have no one, so sitting around doing nothing isn't an option as I would literally die from lack of food.
    • Posted

I nearly am dying from lack of food since I've had no care for nearly a year! I was diagnosed as moderate to severe but I was told by a woman who runs the local ME group that I have the worst case of it she's ever seen.

If I had it at your level I'd be definitely doing physical activities and working but not too much because you have relapse and get worse if you do. Gently does it?

By the way I stretch my mind every day studying and learning, playing music and listening to it, I can't do nothing either. cool One day I'll be riding my motorbike and running again. cheesygrin

• Posted

I don’t at all feel that’s right for you to judge Georgia. Everyone’s symptoms are different and at different siverities thus Georgia might find she is able to work and should not be judged for it. 
    • Posted

Also.. everyone needs to make a living. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.