Is dihydrocodeine stronger than co-codamol?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a cracked rib I think, certainly fits all the symptoms described on NHS Choices.  Pharmacist gave me OTC dihydrocodeine to take with the naproxen I already have.  I'm going to docs on Tuesday, so should I ask for dihydorcodeine or cocodamol, the dihydrocodeine OTC (Paramol is working but expoe3nsive)

Thanks  

Lizzie x

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dihydrocodeine 30 mg is available on prescription,,Paramol only has 8.5 mg of the D
  • Posted

Co dydramol is what paramol is so that's what you need to ask the dr for. (Paracetamol and dihydracodiene, co codamol is paracetamol and codiene)
  • Posted

I'd go with Dyhydracodiene but see how your pain is if it has ever slightly ezed go for Co codamol x
  • Posted

Thanks for all your helpful replies.  I'm finding the pain easing a bit now as the bruising and swelling subsides but still reckon on going to the doc's on Tuesday.

Lizzie

• Posted

Lizzie Go to your gp the dihydrocodeine they are far superior to Co Codamol especially for a cracked rib. Jim
  • Posted

Hi Lizzy,

I would go for what works but watch cause both are very addictive just make sure you stick to the amount the doctor tells you to take

• Posted

Hi everyone

Saw my gp this morning, he checked me all over and agrees that I've got a cracked rib, he was really good as he noticed something which I'd taken for granted, which was that not only was my breathing laboured but I was very congested in the nose too, for which he prescribed a steroid nasal spray.  Anyhow, we discussed painkillers and after I had told him I had had the 30/500 co-codamol before and found them helpful but that I'd become dependent on them, but had successfully got myself off them in November of last year, he said he would prescribe me a box with instructions to only take them when the pain was present, in which cirumstances dependence shouldn't devlop.  I learnt my lesson with these pills before and will be VERY careful with them this time.  Thansk everyone for your replies

Lizzie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.