Is infectious mononucleosis or glandular fever this bad? Desperate for help

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've had fevers, chills and all for the past week and a half. A week and a half ago, I noticed my throat becoming a little irritated and itchy. A few days later, I noticed pus on one of my tonsils. It was only this week on the Monday where my left tonsil started swelling up, making it diffcult to swallow, eat, drink and sleep. 

I've been taking paracetamol, doing aspirin gargles, difflam gargles and taking ibuprofen.

It's worsened these past 3 days and even though I made 2 entries into the ER, they prescribed me codeine the first time which didn't do much and endone the second time which was good temporarily - until I felt like the world was spinning around and I vomitted 6 times the same day afterwards. 

Anyone here who's had infectious mono/glandular fever who has had pain like this? I'm in my 20s, and I've never had pain like this before. I can barely drink (I actually can't eat) and it's so frustrating because I've got a ton of assessments coming up next and I've missed so much class as a result of this. I can't even sleep at night becuase I'll wake up after 2-3 hours in pain. 

Anyone got any tips? I'm getting so desperate here and I just want to cry out of frustration. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, GF affects everyone differently. I had it for a year, and mine fluctuated. The first month I felt like I was in a coma stuck in bed unable to do anything, then for a few months I was just really run down and caught every cold and virus going. Finally got diagnosed 6 months in (I don't tend to go to doctors unless totally necessary). Just keep hygiene up, take every vitamin going (particularly C+zinc) and keep diet healthy. Most importantly- REST. Take naps, have 9 hour sleeps each night.. Sleep was my biggest healer.

I went to South Africa for a month of volunteering and the hygiene and nutrition was so poor that I went downhill again and spent the last two weeks bedridden, with ulcers so severe and such a swollen throat that I couldn't eat at all. I lost about a stone out there, and at 8stone5 originally that was really not good!

Utilise home comforts, if you need to get the calories in, have ice cream. What id have done for some ice cream in the middle of nowhere in South Africa!

Keep going, but don't be negative. as you've been diagnosed early in, you'll probably recover sooner because you can keep yourself healthy.

I also had codeine but that sent me into an illness frenzy.. I fainted at work and spent the next 4 hours lying down feeling drugged and puking every half hour... So if your body disagrees with it then stay away!!

• Posted

Thanks a lot sally323 for your response. I'm legit dying at the moment because I'm hungry as hell but I can't even eat properly nor drink water. They say rest is the way to go but I can't even have a godo nights rest because I'll just be waking up several hours into sleep with my tonsil and ear screaming out in pain. 

I really hope this will go away. I hate it more than anything and it's probably the worst physical pain I've ever felt. 

• Posted

No problem. Yes, the pain is often so bad you can't sleep. When I was at my worst id have very broken sleep throughout the day and night.. When I woke up, I was always in much more pain as my mouth and throat had dried out. I remember crying (although I couldn't cry because it hurt too much, it was more moaning!) every time I woke up.

It is awful but please do try and take some vitamins at least and try very hard to get the calories in, even if you only have sips of melted ice cream.

It will go but you must try and give your body a fighting chance no matter how painful. Also, when you do recover from these symptoms, be aware that you may feel very fatigued for weeks/months. Taking B complex vitamins really helps with my fatigue. I live on a concoction of vitamins now but feel a lot healthier for it!

• Posted

Hello, 

I had severe symptoms for about 4 weeks, and then started feeling better until the fatigue kicked in.... 

However, with regards to the tonsilitis I recommend lots of hot honey and lemon and although it hurts just try to keep fluids up. The sleeping is a nightmare because you're so tired, and now about 3 months later I still haven't slept properly. But the symptoms will go down soon hopefully. With regards to your assessments, i know how you feel about that as I'm in my final year of sixth form and doubt I'll be going to uni with my lack of attendance and inability to revise currently. But there is no point in pushing it to get better as you will only go back down hill again as I learnt (twice now). Hope you feel better soon, and try to not feel to glum about it, I spent days on end crying so don't worry you're not the only one! :D

• Posted

I had mono last year that lasted about 4 months. Rest will help a tremendously, but vitamins help also. Coconut oil which you can buy in the store is great for your immune system. I still take in capsule form, it's called monolauren. Also take a good multiple and apple cider vinegar tea. This is hot water, a tsp of ACV & a tsp of honey. It's quite soothing on the throat & is also great for your immune system. I still take this as well. Mono is a nightmare & when I get stressed I can sometimes feel the fever & fatigue trying to come back. The best thing you can do is boost your immune system. Hang in there...there is light at the end of that long tunnel, I promise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.