Is it Acid Reflux?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

For the past week I've had symptoms that almost replicate Acid Reflux.  It started last week with a slight discomfort in my upper left abdominal quadrant that eventually escalated to discomfort in the entire upper abdomen.  The discomfort then turned to an almost sick feeling where burping and passing gas helped to relieve for several seconds.  Over the past couple days I have developed a feeling of food being stuck in my throat and a feeling of discomfort/ heartburn in my chest (Esophagus area only).  I've been nauseous maybe once in the past week and that feeling lasted for a minute or so, maybe less.  The symptoms usually flare up around the time I eat and last for most of the day (Eat 3-4 meals a day).  Acid Reflux runs in both sides of my family as well as GERD.  I have not gone to the doctor as I try my best to avoid visits but with the discomfort I've had I may need to. The pain is very manageable as it is more of anannoying, irritable feeling rather than a sharp and unbareable pain. I am 17 and consider myself to be very healthy and in great shape so I'm confused as to why this happened so suddenly (Had stomach issues in the past but ones that usually cleared up.) 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do antacids or acid suppressants help when you have these attacks?

You have to take these signs seriously. Attempt to correlate whatever the causes may be - eg particular trigger foods.

The lump in the throat feeling could well be globus (from the cricopharyngeus attempting to control extra-oesophageal reflux) but discuss possible causes with your doctor.

You don't want to end up with permanent damage (Barrett's Oesophagus) that could possibly lead to cancer in 20 years.

Take a look at DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

Antacids don't do much but I usually take them before I eat (Right before) so I'm not sure if they are doing anything.  The feeling in my throat is more of a food feeling and its very low almost in my chest.  I eat a wide range of foods so trying to find a trigger food may be rather tough.  
  • Posted

Hi

You have all the GERD symptoms and family history.

GERD can be very dangerous if not attended to.

You should not hesitate too see a Doctor - and quickly.

Get offline on this issue - you do not need a Layman's advice on this one.

All your family's GERD issues could arise from H.Pylori. You need a doctor's test for H.pylori - breath or stools.  Ask for one.

I would also get your Doctor's advice regarding an Endoscopy to look at your Oesophagus.

I say it again - please seek treatment and rapidly.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi cdjeffery

It is best to go to your doctor first. It sounds like it could be reflux. I read on the internet that people of all ages can have reflux. I never bothered with reflux until within the last year. And mine did come on suddenly. Good luck!

• Posted

From the Daily Mail 11th May 2015, article entitled, "The teenager whose 'eating disorder' turned out to be cancer was told she was 'too young' to have a tumour in her gullet."

"Jemma, now 23, is the picture of health, but two years ago she became one of the youngest Britons to have oesophageal cancer."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.