Is it adrenal insufficiency or not

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on oral steroids since 2004 non stop. From 2006- 2010 on  Prednisone from 30 to 60mg when lower would have breathing issues. In 2010 my doctors figured out I wasn't processing the Prednisone and changed me to methprediszone. I have been able to lower my dose to 4 mg for a few days to almostt 2 weeks per month over the last  2 years a few times. I need a high dose every month to treat another condition then have to do a tamper down to the lowest amount possible.

I have been having issues lately with what I think are signs adrenal insufficiency signs when my body gets stressed. The symptoms are the following - migraine like headache, dully moderate stomach ache, vomiting that isn't stopped by any medication,  diarrhea, blood pressure changes from my normal range. My endo is telling me it isn't except when I have infection.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Those were my EXACT symptoms when my Adrenal glands first reared their ugly heads. Do not let your Endocrinologist tell you any different. I was not at all educated on this then so I had no clue. It was so baffling to doctors that they actually removed my ovaries after I spent 4 days in the hospital for those symptoms. All they could find was a hemmoraegic cyst on my ovary so they took them both. Well, I nearly didn't wake up after surgery. This didn't light up any bulbs for the medical community. There is such a thing as the OAT axis (Ovarian Adrenal Thyroid) and I'm no doctor but it took all my own research to get as far as I have with my treatment. The surgery happened in April and by July I was unable to stay awake. My stomach hurt terribly and I couldn't stand. My head not only hurt but it was foggy and I thought I would faint when I went from sitting to standing. Finally, my primary care doctor was out and another doctor in the clinic saw me. It was discovered that my Adrenal Gland and Thyroid were not doing anything. It had reached a life threatening situation. Your symptoms are critical if you ask me. Honestly, even though you are talking about your Adrenal Glands, I recommend you going to the website called Stop The Thyroid Madness. The Adrenal Glands and Thyroid are so interconnected that this book was and continues to be, the biggest source of information for me. The second edition brings in more about the Adrenal Glands because of how much they are involved with each other. I am on 15-30 mg of hydrocortisone daily, depending on health, stress, etc. I also notice the difficulty in breathing if I'm low. I also have Hashimoto's (Autoimmune Thyroiditis) which is very common for people with Adrenal Insufficiency. Go with your gut. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

I see my allergist tomorrow and hoping he can shine some light on what is going on. Thanks for the information. I already take thyroid meds for under active thyroid it took years for the doctor to agree that was an issues being I have so many other issues.
    • Posted

I am not allowed to be a member since I live in the US. I have been studying endocrine problems for 24 years because my daughter, who was born in Scotland coincidentally, was born with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. I know that there are Axis' in the Endocrine system that are very influential of each other. I gave you one of the best websites there are and that's where all the information came from. I just wanted you to focus on one level and be doing sort of the same thing we don't want our providers to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.