Is it and Adrenal issue?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia following workplace harassment trauma. 

The diagnosis came out 2 years ago. Since then I became more and more ill. My GP basically always addressed the issues as a "it's all in your head" kind of thing.

I also gained 23 pounds in 6 months and in the begining of this year I started having appointments with an internal medicine consultant. She started requesting extensive blood work and paradoxical results came out:

Very high (over 150!) PTH - Parathyroid Hormone but normal calcium

Normal Thyroid but I have all the symptoms of hypothyroid including heavy and extended bleeding. I have some thyroid nodules too. 

Very cortisol in January and March and May very, very low (serum was 0,5).

Vitamin D was also deficient.

I have many other symptoms... a few weeks ago following a very long period I lost my gait walking - literally I couldn't neither walk straight nor on a straight line.

I'm always exhausted and my sleep isn't restful. If I climb a flight of stairs I start to hyperventilate in exhaustion and can't walk straight. I also have periods during the day when I feel faint and I kno it's low blood pressure. It goes up and down during the day.

I've now started been followed in endocrinology at a central hospital. The young consultant ordered more tests but she didn't go without saying that "your weight gain  doesn't make sense".

Any views?

Thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I now hev ADHD too!

Sorry for the mistypings: 

I meant that in January serum cortisol was very high (I believe 266) and in the last months very low (less than 1). I also took urinary cortisol that was also low although not as low as serum's.

• Posted

Hi Teresa, I've read that fibromyalgia can be caused/ worsened (sorry? I can't remember which) by being under-treated for hypothyroidism. So this might be a useful area to investigate.
  • Posted

My view is that at this stage, whether you have hypothyroidism can wait. This is because

before treating hypothyroidism, one has to get one's adrenal glands sorted first. Also get the vitamin and mineral deficiencies corrected. Then any thyroid problems may show up. I really hope you feel better soon. Have you seen the website madness thyroid the stop (words are in reverse order as I'm on my mobile and can't send you a private message).

• Posted

Also, poor functioning adrenal glands means that your body won't be able to get the best out of your thyroid even if it's working. So you need to get your adrenal glands sorted first. 

Just another thought: does your doctor ever do a T3 blood test? It may be that your TSH and T4 are working correctly, but your body isn't converting T4 into T3 correctly. In which case you would have hypothyroid symptoms but not show up on the usual T4 & TSH blood tests.

• Posted

Yes I've had the T3 checked, not "reverse T3" but standard T3. 

However after reading (and listening to ) Dr. John C. Lowe I'm convinced I may have a form of "thyroid hormone resistance". But I agree that the adrenals are more worrisome at the moment. I can't wait for the next results. I hope I don't have Addison's  sad

Many thanks for your concerns Barbara. 

• Posted

Julie, can you PM your message? It went for moderation (I'm so lucky) rolleyes
  • Posted

I did't have my Endocrinologist appoitment yet but I was told that all my cortisol levels are normal. 

Previously and since last January I've had very high cortisol (significanmtly over the top limit of the nrma range) and them in March very low (below normal range) and in June extremely low. I felt very sick and did these last test that are now "normal". I don't understant any of this... I also have fibromyalgia and thyroid nodule... 

What are you views?

Thanks!

• Posted

I've pressed enter before revising- apologies!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.