Is it asthma?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I am an 18 year old female who has had some heart problems in the past 5 years but they're on the mend. Last night i was running up a hill for what was a maximum of 30 seconds when suddenly i go this burning sensation right across my chest and into my throat i found it very dificult to breathe and was continously coughing and had this coppery sticky taste in my throat. I started to panic thinking is was something to do with my heart and my legs went weak, i couldnt see properly and had a headache. I eventually got home and my symptoms didn't go for another hour and a half. I put my head inbetween my knees and gulped down freezing cold water as suggested by my asthmatic sister which helped dull some of the symptoms. Today i feel very weak and tired and havent had much of an appetite which is very unusual for me smile. I'm unsure whether it is asthma or not because im not sure whether attacks usually last that long or get that serious but if anyone could help to what these symptoms suggest id be so grateful. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kels J.

Sorry you have been unwell. I have asthma and no what you experienced last night sounds very frightening for you but it does not fit in with the signs and symptoms of an asthmatic episode. They do however possibly point to your heart as I am sure you suspect. You really do need to see a Dr ASAP be it A&E as it is a Sunday...... You are 18, but if your parents are around please talk to them. It is much better to be safe than sorry.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, my parents are convinced it isn't asthma and think it is something else to do with my heart but I guess I needed an in biased person to tell me that. I'm making an emergency appointment with my doctor so it can be sorted
  • Posted

Hi, just seen this -  by now I hope you have seen a doctor as this sounds NOTHING like asthma and more like the pain and feelings I had before being diagnosed with a heart problem. Please update us, hope you are ok ? Good Luck.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply! I've seen my doctor and he thinks it was a reaction to my tablets (that had just been upped a dose) which are for my heart. He said the tablets (bisoporol) can cause problems with my airways and he thinks that's what happened, I'm going for another review next week to see how things are. Can I ask what heart problem you was diagnosed with and what causes your problems?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.