Is it bowel cancer ?!?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, Can someone please help ?

I've had gastric problems all my life. But have spent the last 3 months with diaorreh,losing weight yet bloated stomach and abdominal cramps along with lower intermitant sharp pains either side, worse on eating, very tired, weight loss, dizzy spells,nausea at times, was on loo approx 20 to 30 times per day for month then gradually lowering to once a day in last few days and abdominal pain eased off. My appetite is not as good as it once was.

I have over the years been diagnosed with irritable bowl syndome.

I had stool test which came back positive for inflammatory bowel disease. My GP now referring me to gastroentrologist. 12 years ago i had 6 polyps cut out during a bladder operation. Never been seen since. My father died of stomach cancer aged 41 yrs. I phoned hospital for appt. but they booked up for next 18 weeks as my GP didn't put priority on letter. He is suspecting crohns but i've read up on this and it also refers to bowel cancer which has now concerned me. Im age 58 yrs old. Can anyone help as it is a long time to wait wondering ?!? Thank You.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello there, sorry to hear that you are unwell.

You do not say if you are male or female, or what your age group is.

Could you please let me have this information?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, thank you very much for reply.

I am female age 58 yrs old.

Regards.

• Posted

IBS and Crohn's are both horrible disorders, but it does not necessarily mean that a sufferer will contract bowel cancer as a result of having either of them.

The 18 week waiting list cannot be helping you either, as it has given you just more time in which to worry.

Have you considered getting back to your doctor, expressing your concerns about your family history and you stressing-out over it, and asking if would be at all possible for him to move to up the list as a priority case?

In my experience it does no harm to ask, and you might just get somewhere.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi, thank you very much for your reply and concern.

I do appreciate.

Yes i have contacted the surgery and asked for priority as I've already been told from the stool test it is Inflammatory bowel disease, which now takes me away from IBS and into IBD ( crohns disease ) or maybe bowel cancer !

I am awaiting a reply from GP's today but not heard yet.

As I've been suffering such a long time and got a history of polyps and family cancer history this was my concern when i read about crohns and the other possibility. Thinking did i leave things too long !

As i had never even heard of crohns before - I was just trying to get on with things without realising i had something wrong.

Thank you once again for your kindness.

Regards. 

• Posted

18 weeks is far too long to wait for a hospital appointment. You must get your GP to request something much faster. I was fortunate that my GP was on the ball and even though bowel cancer was not actually suspected at the time I was treated as an emergency and was in for endoscopy and CT scan very fast. Just as well because I did have bowel cancer but fortunately it hadn't gone too far. So, insist that you are given some priority. It may be a false alarm, but don't take the chance.
    • Posted

Hi, thank you so much for reply.

Since my last message, i have had to go back to my GP who has now requested URGENT at the hospital.

But when i contacted hosp. they told me they had put through to consultant as routine and got no copy of urgent yet ! They also told me instead of the 2 original gradings of routine/urgent it is now in fact classed as 3 gradings of routine/urgent/suspected cancer !!! ( my GP is suspecting crohns ).

When i got back for a 3rd time to my GP he said he's now put urgent and unessary to put cancer !

So i will not be seen in the 2 week suspected cancer grading !

I now have to phone hospital on Tuesday to make sure they have the urgent form for consultant and i was told that won't be within 2 weeks as not put as suspected cancer by my GP and the consultant will make the decision of how long i will have to wait.

I do not understand how a general practitioner can say for definite whether cancer or not as the hosp. consultants don't even know until i've had tests ?!? I now think there is something wrong with the system and no wonder so many people are being diagnosed too late !!!

I now have to wait for appt. some where between 2 to 18 wks for appt.

I can't do anymore than i've done now.

I've spent 3 and half months with diaorreh which has all of a sudden gone to constipation. ( with a lot of other things like indigestion, heartburn dizzy spells etc. ). A lot of pain and just tired out all the time.

My first contact with GP was in January and it's March now before even getting foot in door for appt. at hosp. !!!

Thank you very much for your kindness and help.

• Posted

I should have added that you need to ensure that the endoscopy session includes a gastroscopy test looking for the possibilty of Coeliac disease. Some of your symptoms look like ones that I used to suffer, biopsy samples taken during the tests found that, to my surprise, that in addition to the cancer, I also had Coeliac disease. Since cutting out food containing gluten, things have been much improved. Don't cut out gluten before the test, though, because this will invalidate the diagnosis.
    • Posted

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear you were diagnosed with bowel cancer - You must have been through hell !!! Also to have coeliac also is too awful.

My heart goes out to you - How are you doing ?

I don't know much about coeliac, so will look it up and compare thank you for being so kind to me.

Please let me know how you are getting on and coping ?

Thank You. Please take care.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

Just wanted to mention approx. 4 years ago i had blood tests which showed too many white blood cells - But GP said he expected that as i have severe COPD. So i put it down to that and didn't understand anything about blood cell counts.

Last November i contacted my GP for water pills as my stomach had bloated bigger than rest of my body and i had no energy. He came out to see me without me knowing he was coming that day - He examined me and wanted blood tests as he was thinking something wrong with heart ( as i have got arrithmia ) I couldn't quite see the connection  !

But he gave me water pills and ordered blood tests but they couldn't get blood as said my veins were bad.

Then in January this year i eventually spoke with the GP regarding the pain and diaorreh etc. But I've had no blood tests yet only the stool test.

I just thought i would give you some background and why i left things thinking it was all linked to the COPD and or heart. I've already had for many years a gastric stomach with related problems, so put up with more than i should have i guess before thinking this is not right. I also put the tiredness down to lungs getting worse but now realise something else was making things far worse. I did at one time cut to gluton free as a friend suggested but it made no difference, so i've now stopped that. It's been 4 days now and i cannot go to the loo as it's now turned to constipation from months of diaorreh ! And my stomach bloated right out again.

Thank you once again Anthony - You are very kind especially as you have been through so much yourself.

I really do appreciate you contacting and sharing with me.

Please stay in touch.

I wish you the best and please take care of yourself.

Maria.

• Posted

Thanks for your concern about my problems but it does seem that you are suffering much more than I had to. I had the operation last November but was only in hospital for 4 days after it. It didn't take very long for me to get back to near normal, the only lingering thing is the need to continue the rest of my chemotherapy.

It does concern me that you are still having to wait so long for the hospital appointment. It must be dreadful having to have this hanging over you. I was very fortunate that my GP was prepared to push for me to have the endoscopy tests as a matter of urgency. Perhaps it is another example of the approach in different parts of he country. I'm in Birmingham, I wonder where you are.

I do hope that your tests, when they take place, are successful in finding the cause of your problems and that they are not as serious as you might be expecting. Try to keep positive even though this might be hard, it does help.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I'm so pleased you got seen to very quickly and you are feeling near to normal.

Yes i can imagine the chemotherapy taking it's time.

It's refreshing to hear your positive attitude.

I'm quite a strong person mentally but physically this appears to have taken it out of me. I think any negative thoughts i've got have come from the waiting and the constant following up i've had to do at a time i don't feel up to it along with attitude from the hospital.

I live in the Medway towns and the hospital has been on the News and in paper's for i think they said  " The worst hospital in the country ".

Apart from that I'm staying positive now.

I'm hoping my GP's insistance of it being crohn's is correct !!!

Either way i didn't see it coming - And never heard of it until i was told, then looked it up on the web only to find out there was a lot more to it.

Thank you for your concern and kindness/help. I really do appreciate.

Please take care of yourself.

Kind Regards, maria

• Posted

Hi,

It could well be Chrohns Disease from the symptoms you've described. But one easy way to find out what is wrong is to have a Colonoscopy, something I have every 5 years when they find an adenomatous polyp or two inside my colon and remove them on the spot. These can eventually develop into cancer if left there.. But a Colonoscopy as well as  discovering tumours, is also used to diagnose Colitis, Chrohns disease etc

I'd advise your GP to get one done asap if he/she hasn't done so already.

• Posted

Hi Siggie, I have had bowel cancer and have been lucky and survived.  If you have any doubts about your body seek medical advice immediately.  It was my friend who pushed me to the doctors as I had zero energy.  It was Christmas 2007 and i was so grateful my sons had gone to their father's and my brother and family had offered to do Christmas dinner thank goodness.  My friend noticed this complete lack of energy to which i had somehow become accustomed.  My doctor, who is excellent,  was baffled - but gave me a blood test straight away and it proved I was very VERY anaemic.  He sent me off for an urgent colonoscopy.  When i arrived home after this proceedure,  I was immediatley called back to m doctor's surgery.  From there on I was admitted to hospital at the earist.  My advice is act immediately, do not ignore.  Trust in the doctors.  I wish you well.
  • Posted

I have had diarohea for 10 weeks now and waiting for an appointment for a colonscopy,  my own gp has told me he has to assume its bowel cancer which is very scarey, i have no medication other than imodium to give my insides a rest but getting tired and feeling low and depressed about it all, even had to look up funeral costs and wondering how long i have to live all very depressing, i have never suffered with stomach problems previously it came on out of the blue I am 62 so perhaps its age i dont know
    • Posted

Christine: If your doctor is saying that he is assuming bowel cancer then you should be subjected to hospital tests, colonoscopy and CT scan, as a matter of urgency.  If this is not happening, then go back to the doctor and make a fuss until you are put onto an emergency status, you certainly shouldn't be left in a sort of limbo wondering what is happening.

Having said that, the survival rate for bowel cancer is improving all the time so don't get too despondent.  If you have read the earlier posts in this thread you will have seen that I have been through the mill with bowel cancer and, fingers crossed, have started to  believe that, maybe, the light at the end of the tunnel is not the headlamp of a train rushing towards me!  By the way, I was 77 when diagnosed so 62 is no age at all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.