Is it endometriosis? Confused at what to do...

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I've had pelvic pain for nearly two years now, which consists of sharp electric pain across my bum cheeks. It started when I bent down to pick up a t shirt off the floor and hasn't been the same since. I've been to physiotherapists and osteopaths who have said they think it's a problem with my sacroiliac joint and in turn the piriformis muscle, which also gives sciatic nerve pain. However it gets worse around periods, and no amount of stretching or treatment is making it go away. My question is do you think it could be caused by endometriosis? I've always been aware of endometriosis and as a child had really heavy painful periods but it's more like every so often I get a really painful one nowadays. My symptoms are heavy periods, brown discharge for a week after, bleeding after sex (sometimes) pelvic pain which is worse around periods, sciatic pain, sore hips, constipation. I did see a gynaecologist who said my symptoms were not regular or severe enough to say it was definitely that, so I opted out of the laparoscopy. I wanted to ask if anyone has had similar non severe symptoms and thinks I should be getting the operation to check it out? My biggest worry is not being able to get pregnant, I'm 31, and I've made a mistake not getting it checked out. Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate, 

I have just posted my own discussion before reading this. Your issues should very similiar to mine! I am also 31, don't have particularly heavy or painful periods but I do have severe hip pain and stiffness, low back pain, constipation, UTI's and painful sex. I am confused as to whether to have a lap to - it seems so extreme when I am very unsure if this is endo. But all other tests are showing nothing and I am feeling frustrated. I kind of feel like I am being dramatic sometimes and maybe imagining my symptoms but I don't think it's normal to have to take brufen every morning after I've had sex or to lie on the floor stretching my hips because they hurt so much. I am active and a healthy weight so surely this is not normal for a 31 year old woman?!  

I am really worried about fertility too - are you trying for a baby just now?

• Posted

Hi Jess,

Thanks for the reply! Yes it seems you are in a very similar situation to me- I'm also fit and active, a dance teacher to be precise! So this pelvic/hip pain is driving me nuts and getting in the way of my job. I have to say I don't have the pain you describe after sex, however I do have bleeding after now and again- which as you say is annoying as with it being every now and again it confuses me a lot! I'm getting married in oct and then plan on trying for a baby pretty much soon after. The fertility side of endo is what scares me, am I ignoring it and potentially affecting my chances of getting pregnant? Or am I over thinking and nothing is wrong?! I also have to stretch every day twice a day or can't cope with my pelvic pain. Do you see a Physio/osteopath? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.