Is it just me?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've just been to the GP (this started 5th November, so I'm just over 3 weeks in) and told her how I still have blurred vision, adversion to bright lights, dizziness, nausea, head fog and shoulder pain and how it got worse again over the weekend.

She pretty much shouted me out of the room, said labyrinthitis does not cause sensitivity to lights and vision disturbances. She has given me prochlorperzine and says I should be back at work by the end of the week.

I'm a teacher in a very challenging school, I have to be able to move fast and my brain needs to be working properly. I do not feel on the ball with this thing and do no feel able to cope with work or even to drive there at the minute. My children think it's hilarious that Mum is such an empty head the last few weeks.

Do you all find that symptoms of labyrinithitis come and go, does it  if you lie down and then when you get up, walk around, try to do some jobs around he house etc the drunk feeling, nausea and blurred vision kick in again?

I have a house that I'm renovating and each time I've started to feel a little better I've gone there and done some work only to come home totally wiped out and so dizzy I've spent the rest of the day in bed.

Is the GP right, or does she not actually understand this condition? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How old are you, please? It sounds like perimenopause. Have you checked out the perimenopause site here? Take a look your symptoms sound hormonal.
  • Posted

Perhaps get another opinion and look at vestibular problems, not just labrynthitis? The GP may not understand the condition, my doctor had never heard of it! I see a consultant in Kent now. Very good wishes to you.
    • Posted

yes pinky, I do.  I have to travel from West Sussex to see him. What about yoou?
    • Posted

I saw him for the first time just over a month ago. Thought it was time I saw a neuro otologist. I travelled from rossendale, lancs to see him and I have my 2nd appt in January. Has he helped you at all?
    • Posted

He has prescribed balance exercises from his physio. Some effect to begin with but not so good now. I saw him about 6 weeks ago and see him again in April.  keep in touch  please?!

• Posted

Yes definitely will keep in touch. I saw him for an hour privately and after some testing diagnosed silent migraines. I'm now on an elimination diet. He also prescribed some meds which I've been plucking up courage to take!! Got to just do it as when I see him in jan he'll want to know how I'm doing on them. Also asked me to keep a diary of flare ups.

• Posted

Did he call the sillent migraines 'vestibular migraine'?  What meds did he prescribe please. For me he said no med at all would make the slightest bit of difference.  That's partly why I feel bad for those , especially in USA, who pay time after time for meds that might be inappropriate but expensive. Anyway I hope that the diet points the way forward for you.All the best x

• Posted

He only wanted to know about my flare ups and not what I'm like day to day. He said it's a migraine variant balance disorder which I think is the same as vestibular migraine. Said it would be harder to treat as I'm perimenopausal and the spikes of hormones don't help. He gave me the diet sheet with other measures of regular sleep, regular meals, avoid stress and exertion. Then he prescribed venlafaxine to which I asked if I could just follow the diet. He was quite sure my anxiety over this problem wasn't helping me get better hence the meds. He sounds very knowledgeable and confident and I feel we're in good hands!!! X

• Posted

Perhaps the aversion to bright lights isn't directly related to the labyrinthitis? Do you suffer migraines? I think slightly blurry vision is quite common due to nystagmus. Visual aura might be more suggestive of migraines. I am currently apparently suffering labyrinthitis too so looking for answers like you and unable to do much! I feel better laying down too but like on a boat walking around! Hope we are both better soon. X

• Posted

Hi - it could be labs but I went thru the same and after a year  of endless appointments, I was finally diagnosed with migraine associated vertigo.  If it doesnt go with these tabs, then ask to see a neurologist.  I have exactly the same symptoms, dizzy 24/7 problems with lights, and sounds, drunk feeling, sickness and weird vision.  You need an MRI to rule out anything sinister but Im sure it wont be, then they will prob say MAV.  There are two really good support groups on facebook VESTIBULAR MIGRAINE PROFESSIONAL and MAV SUPPORT.  You will see they have the same symptoms as you.  It can be quite hard to get rid of.  Its due to extra electricity coming from your brain stem that causes the weird vestibular symptoms.  Good luck. 
    • Posted

HI Paula, 

I have the exact same sympoms as you and have the same diagnosis. Are you still dealing with MAV or have your symptoms gotten better??

• Posted

Hi Nicole unfortunately I still have it its now four years. It has improved with Botox and gabapentin. Headaches better but still got dizzies and weird head stuff. I also take anti depressant cymbalta it duloxetine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.