Is it normal to have suicidal thoughts but you are not actually suicidal?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is it normal to have suicidal thoughts occasionally but not actually be suicidal?

5 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have not found it so. The converse I suspect is that it is normal to have thoughts of suicice when depressed but not necessarily feel suicidal. It seems there is another stage of misery deeper than a miserable depression.

A completely different syndrom is possesion be evil spirit(s), There may be constant presure to suicide or worse general murderous mayhem with suicide as the bizar excape from retibution. I do not think you are alluding to that.

• Posted

I think it's possible and even perhaps 'normal' if you're suffering from a terrible illness and sometimes lose hope of ever getting better. I get like it sometimes. I don't really want to die; I just want escape from this horrendous illness. Obviously I'd rather get better!

I include illnesses like depression in sometimes feeling suicidal but not really wanting to die. It's just wishing to not be suffering.

• Posted

I have had fleeting thoughts of it in my youth, but unless I knew I had something wrong with me that would slowly and painfully kill me, I wouldn't take my own life.
    • Posted

What about something that would slowly and painfully NOT kill you for years but make you suffer immeasurably?
    • Posted

I think that is something you can't measure unless you are in that situation. Pray that none of us has to face that situation! If my quality of life became unbearable, the possibility would be there.
    • Posted

Mine has been unbearable and I've been suicidal but I seem to be getting on top of it with the help of herbs. razz
    • Posted

Well that is good news, Georgia. smile

A positive attitude goes a long way to giving you the strength to keep on top of it, too.

Also, I hope you have good people round you to help physically and mentally. A good support team is worth millions! smile x

• Posted

I've been without a carer for quite a long time but one is coming to see me about being my carer next week. I advertised online and she responded really quickly, and she worked with a woman who had ME for 9 years and that's what I have!
    • Posted

She sounds like she should know her stuff then!

Hope the interview goes well, and she is as good as she sounds! smile

Let us know how you get on. x

• Posted

I will. Seeing as most people don't understand ME I really hope she decides to be my carer. My bungalow's in such a mess but that might not put her off. cheesygrin
  • Posted

Don't think about it.
    • Posted

People don't want to think about it shine, and when they do it's through depression/fear etc. Suicidal thoughts and feelings aren't a choice.

If it was as simple as 'Don't think about it' no one would ever be suicidal! eek

• Posted

I hardly dare share my more recent history. I have had over 74 years without any thought of suicide. Then I had a change in the manufacturer of a generic antidepressant at a very low dose and in a week I was in my first ever deep depression. I found my logic was turned on its head. Dark and death were good and desirable and worse death was logical. It took 4 to 5 weeks on the original manufacturer's generic to get me back to life and light is good.

A few months later I suffered a very isolating experience which made me excessively miserable. i wished I had died before my troubles had started but I had no thoughts of suicide.

A couple of months later I had ten days of extreme stress and misery where thoughts of suicide were there whenever I was not distracted. On day ten I had my first thought of how would do it and looked speculatively at the stair railings and landing. I spent the next half hour trying to decide to phone Samaritans. I did that and while I was talking my wife interupted. I had an emotional storm and things were quite a bit better after that. 

I do not, definitely do not wish to end my own life. I am alarmed that I could get into a state that I would do so. I have prepared a note for my GP whom I am to see on Thursday. I have been in the queue for stress councelling for over two months with at least a month to go. Yes I am alarmed.  

Suicide is so hard on family. Death through disease and accident is bad enough. It is strange to feel frightened on oneself.

• Posted

I think it's pretty normal to feel suicidal when things get unbearable because it's like the fight or flight response but with nowhere to fly to and no way of fighting. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.