Is it ok to use table salt for nasal irrigation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've ran out of sea salt which NeliMed has with a bottle I bought. Is it safe to use table salt?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely NOT reco that. Go to a health food store where they will have the netipot salt mix pre-prepared.
  • Posted

I agree that table salt is to be avoided, due to the additives it usually contains.

However, I believe pure sea salt is fine (no pun intended), available in some supermarkets or otherwise health food shops. Just check the packaging to ensure it's just 100% salt with nothing added. As you might expect, fine salt will dissolve more easily, but coarse salt is OK as long as you make sure it's fully dissolved before use (don't fancy hard salt crystals in delicate nasal passages!).

You can always add your own sodium bicarbonate if you find it helps - I know some people recommend that and I think that's what NeilMed sachets contain.

Personally I just use pure sea salt with a bit of xylitol (natural sweetener!) added - it really seems to help! You can read about it online, and also get tips on the right quantities / proportions of water, salt etc to use.

I'm sure you know this already, but do be careful to use clean containers and boiled water that has cooled naturally (i.e. without adding fresh cold water).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.