Is it possible to have high Prolactin but normal Testosterone levels?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am a 27 year old male. For some time I've shown symptoms of a lack of sex drive and erectile dysfunction but as I suffer from anxiety always attibuted it as the cause. I had some blood tests done privately and my results showed a slightly raised prolactin level but my testosterone seems average.

TSH 0.70 mIU/L (0.27 - 4.2) 

Prolactin 397 mIU/L (86 - 324) 

Testosterone 21.3 nmol/L (7.6 - 31.4) 

SHBG 35 nmol/L (16 - 55) 

The results seem to suggest Prolactinoma but a common side effect is low testosteorone where my results prove otherwise. I'm afraid if I speak to my doctor he will tell me it is all in my head so I'm trying to make some sense of the results.

I guess the question I'm asking is is it possible to have raised Prolactin/Prolactinoma and normal looking testosterone levels? 

Should I speak to my doctor anyway?  

Thanks very much smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i think that it is possible to have any combination of hormones working or not working, depending on what the underlying problem is.

however i think that for a prolactinoma the prolactin levels would be up in the 900 or above. so your prolactin is only slightly elevated.

and you say that you did it privately - remember that different labs have different methods.

it is worth however talking to your GP rather than trying to self diagnose.

good luck

• Posted

There is usually a follow-up blood test taken over a couple of hours with (I think) a glucose drink (much like diabetes).  This sorts out the wolves from the dogs.

Ask to be referred to an endocrinologist for a 2nd opinion.  Also ask for an Iron Panel (Studies) test.  This should include Serum Iron, Ferritin Iron, Transferrin Saturation % and TIBC.  Just iron and haemoglobin is not an adequate test.  If you have a high ferritin iron level (300+), as well as a high TS% (>50), it means you have Hereditary Haemochromatosis.  It will cause the problems you mention.

HH can cause a problem with your pituitary gland too, causing high prolactin.

Search the haemochromatosis forum, and you will find a 27-28 year old male with same problems.

• Posted

Hello,

25 year old male here.

I have exact same symptoms. Everything in blood test is normal except Prolactin.

Thyroid : normal

Testosterone (total) : 631ng/dl (260 - 1000)

Prolactin : 22.7ng/ml  (4 - 15)

I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder and ED. I too like you, attributed my problem to anxiety.

it has been 4-5 days since i started taking anti-depressants.

I got these blood tests results today and i am going to see an Endocrinologist in couple of days to rule out Prolactinoma.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.