Is it safe to use moxifloxacin-dexamethasone

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been prescribed moxifloxacin-dexamethasone eye drops after a B-scan by my opthalmologist for 9 days.The duration for the drops is 2 drops-3 times a day for the first 3 days, then 2 drops-2 times a day for the next 3 days and finally 2 drops-one time a day for the final 3 days.But now i am a little petrified after knowing that using steroid eye drops for more than a week induces glaucoma.And also my opthalmologist has asked me to come for the next check up only after a month.Now I dont want to be facing the prospect of developing glaucoma while treating a minor bacterial infection or so.So should i be concerned about taking this eye drops for more than a week or should i stop taking the drops after a week?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry at all, your dr.  gave you a tapering dosage of eye drops for a short period. This period mostly will not cause glaucoma.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Han0.I woluld like to add that I also have sinus pressure and the relative severe dry eye problems.Now since i already have the eye pressure from the sinus i am worried whether the ocular pressure from the steroid drops may become worse due to my above said condition.Wouldnt both these factors play a tandem job in elevating the eye pressure than normal?
    • Posted

sinus (nasal sinuses) do not increase eye pressure except if it has a mass pressure( mechanically) otherwise its ok . again, the course of eye drops mentioned above does not cause glaucoma. even if eye pressure got little pit higher it will down back when you stop it.
  • Posted

Moxifloxacin is a fluoroquinalone antibiotic. It should never be used.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.