Is it the medication?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello people, I am a newbie to this site!

After years of a happy relationship with Seroxat my GP took me off it two years ago and gave me Venlafaxine instead but I don't think it is the right drug for me: I don't sleep for more than two hours at a time, laying awake for up to two hours in between. I have absolutely no motivation to do anything and no interest or joy in anything. My brain is permanently foggy, no concentration etc. instead I can just sit for hours on end thinking about nothing at all. I don't want to be like this any longer....at least I had feelings and emotions before!

Has anyone else experienced these effects?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Venlafaxine's about all that works for me these days.

Have you spoken to your Dr about how you're feeling? Certain a/ds work better for some people than others. Also why did they move you off paroxetine if it was working well for you? or is it that it had stopped working for you after 2 years?

• Posted

Hi Mike, was on Seroxat for approx 20 years then someone close to me died and a year later I went to pieces so GP changed me over. Maybe I just needed a dosage increase!
    • Posted

Sorry, forgot to say that I am trying to talk to GP but getting an appointment is like pulling hen's teeth round here!
    • Posted

I had a good 10 years or so on citalopram working my way through 20-60mg/per day but that stopped working for me in the end (and the NHS also withdrew the 60mg dose due to suspected heart risks at that dose) so I can relate. My Dr tried me on a few other a/ds and I seemed to settle on venlafaxine once I got to 225mg/day although I've had that increased in secondary care to 375mg/day now to keep it effective for me.

That's a shame your Dr didn't 1st try increasing you paroxetine dosage if it had been working and there was scope to try increasing the dose.

I don't beleive GPs can increase venlafaxine dose above 225mg/day. When mine needed increasing I was moved into secondary care anyhow.

I think though there's probably not much to gain increasing your dose above 225mg/day if venlafaxine's never helped you. It's probably better to look for another solution with you Dr. Good luck getting an appointment. I know it's hard to get to see your GP these days.

• Posted

Certainly what you describe sounds like typical depression - poor sleep, lack of concentration and motivation, so perhaps you need to go back to your doctor. You don't say what dose of venlafaxine you are on. And has it recently stopped working? I was on Seroxat for several years and then stopped because I was well. When I got iIl again, Seroxat didn't help so I was put on venlafaxine and that was effective. Actually a few years on the doctor added mirtazapine as well, and I've been very happy since.
    • Posted

Hello pixie,

Am on 225mg XL. It hasn't really worked from the start but at least I've given it a good shot! I am inclined to think it is responsible for the state of nothingness, for want of a better word.

• Posted

I have been on for 6 years and I think this is a very strong anti depressant and there are better options out there. I've had brain fog and lots of problems with heart palpitations. I also know people who do very well on this drug but personally for me the side effects are too much. I must say though when I first took this anti depressant I needed it as I was very very mentally poorly. If your depression can be managed with a different anti depressant I would reccomend you try something with less side effects. On Monday I change to sertraline. All the best smile
  • Posted

It is a strong 2nd line a/d targetting serotonin, norepinephrine and at high doses dopamine too with a raised side effect profile to match. It's usually only used when more than a couple of the 1st line treatments have failed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.