Is it worth going to the doctors? What is this?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had no idea where to post this so I'm very sorry if it's the wrong area!

For the past few weeks I've had so many strange symptoms which I can't seem to join together and think of a reason for why I'm feeling this way.

My symptoms include: feeling very anxious during the nights for no reason causing me to lose a lot of sleep, cold but sweaty hands and feet, constant headaches, aches body, dry mouth, dizzy spells, hot and cold flushes, stomach pain, pain in my left side, pain in my upper thighs, lack of appetite, constant nausea and the shakes.

Last time I went to the doctors they blamed it on stress even though I assured him I have nothing to be stressed over!

I am only 18 years old and it really takes it out of me to feel this awful on a daily basis, it makes me just want to stay in bed and not do anything.

Any help would be so so so appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention: could this be due to my birth control pill? I've been on the same one for a year but can my body start to refuse it even after all that time?

• Posted

Are you anaemic?   Are you eating a balanced diet and not trying to be ultra thin?  Are your periods very heavy?
    • Posted

I have had multiple blood tests and I am not anaemic, I am eating a healthy diet and I am a healthy weight, and I have regular periods
    • Posted

Has your doctor suggested you try a different birth control pill? It may be worth a try. sometimes women have to try several before finding the one that suits them best.
    • Posted

No they haven't, but I've been on the same pill for around a year so surely I wouldn't start reacting differently?

• Posted

The pill could be the culprit but it sounds more like some kind of anxiety response.

You do not have to be under any perceived stress to be anxious especially at your age. This is when anxiety tends to spike in predisposed individuals. You are undergoing a major hormonal shift that will take you through your early twenties.

To get to the bottom of it look at the months directly preceding the onset of your symptoms as well as your past health and emotional history. I will share some things for you to consider and help establish how much of it may be physical or emotional - no need to answer them all here:

-  Have you consumed alcohol regularly over the past few months?

- Have you had irregular sleep patterns either due to studies/social life or have you had difficulty going to sleep or staying asleep? Not talking about now that yopu have nighttime anxiety - I mean directly before the onset of these final symptoms?

- Has anything major changed in your life over the past 6 months? New school/startoing work, financial hardship, issues with parents etc

- Has anyone in your family or close circle fallen ill (hospitalized for something serious)

- Do you have a parent or sibling  who was ever in a life-threatening situation (healthwise or accident)

- have there been any recent deaths in the family (pet deaths included)

- Have you changed your diet in the weeks preceding the onset of symptoms?

- Have you had a recent break-up or other stressful emotional event like the loss of a good friend through misunderstanding etc.

- Recreational drug use - some episodes of anxiety can be triggered even by mild drugs such as cannabis

- You say you had multiple bloodwork done and exclude anaemia. Thyroid function is normal?

This is basic.

As for the pill, any negative effects may actually start even after years of taking it - it has to do with your current hormonal state. I feel that 16-24 are not the best years to be taking the pill because your body goes through quite a bit of adjustment. Is there an alternative you could consider if all else fails?

Hope you feel better soon! x

• Posted

purpledobermann has given you several things to consider,so do take a few moments to go through them .  just thinking about each one may help.

This of course may be nothing to do with the pill or anxiety and if not I would start to think along the lines of a viral problem.   If this is the case it could take a while to diagnose and you may start to feel better before a cause is found.  However,dont give up. Keep going back to your doctor ,say every 2 weeks, just to keep him/her informed that you really are not well. And especially if you feel worse.

Patients often have the impression that the first visit to the doctor is the only one needed,but doctors will always try suggesting the most common causes first. If the patient doesnt return then they have no way of knowing that things arent resolved.  You are very young to be suffering like this so dont give up. You owe it to yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.