is my menstrual cycle irregular? could my cycle be related to lower right abdominal pain?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I just started tracking my period a little over a year ago, and now that i've been having some problems related to my period and my reproductive organs i'm wondering if my period, more specifically my cycle is considered irregular... these are the number of days my cycles have been from month to month: 

32 march-april (most recent period)(i literally just had it haha)

36 feb-march

43 jan-feb (2016)

45 nov-dec

28 oct-nov

35 sept-oct

34 aug-sept

32 july-aug

30 june-july

33 may-june

33 april-may

75 jan-april (2015)

32 dec-jan (2014)

My period has always been irregular, i got my period in april when I was in grade 7, and now it is april and i'm in grade 12. I know it is normal to have an irregular period during the first two years of having a period, but would having cycles like this at my age be concercing? I mean tbh my cycle was actually pretty regular (for me) as you can see from june to october!!! and it has never been that regular in my life before!!

You can see there is a spike during january 2015, and then pretty bad irregularity after september 2015... during january and september i had episodes of pain that landed me in the ER. My unexplained abdominal pain is one thing, but I mean i've never had severe abdominal pain that landed me in the ER during my period, so i haven't thought about my period being related to my pain until now.

In january, 2 weeks after my period I went to the ER for severe right sided lower abdominal pain. I had pain leading up to this for a few days (it was a while ago so i dont remember) and also has no appetite at all! I remember being nauseous but i dont remember the extent of it. Basically after seeing the er doc and getting the ultrasound, i didnt have appendicitis but they told me I had a cyst on my right ovary that probably ruptured. I was given no pain meds, no antibiotics, no fluids, i was discharged and told to follow up with my family doctor.

In september, the day after finishing my period (my period is usually 5 days long but this time it was only 4 days long) I had pain similar to the pain i had in january that got worse, and 3 days after finishing my period it got to the point that i went to the hospital. The first time I went to the ER, they did the same routine thing to rule out appendicitus but they couldnt find my appendix on the ultrasound. They told me to come back in 24-48 hours if the pain did not resolve or got worse, so the next day i went back to the ER. Same thing, no appendix found and this time i was admitted to the hospital over night. The symptoms I had during this episode of pain was, lower right abdominal pain but not as bad as the pain I had in january, no appetite, but this time the worse nausea i've ever had in my life. Bascially long story short I spent 4 days in the hospital after numberous ultrasounds and than a CT... my appendix was seen on the CT and i did not have appendicitius, the only thing they found was a cyst on my left ovary.  After the CT it was clear i didnt have appendicitius so they let me eat, and when i ate i had the worst pain ive ever had in my life... a 9/10 sharp pain in the lower right side. The diagnosis I had this time around was gastritis (from not eating) due to a suspected ovarian cyst rupture, mid cycle pain, or something to do with my lymph nodes (i think its called mesenteric adenitis or something like that) Same thing, follow up with my family doctor, and the month and a bit after this was just me letting myself eat again (eating was very painful at first) but the more i ate the less it hurt and eventually i could eat normally without pain.

Now, during the last 2 months i've been in an episode. This time i had right sided pain, but it was higher (around my ribcage), i also had no appetite, and nausea but nothing compared to the nausea i had in the hospital in september. We thought it was galbladder related because the pain was higher and it happened when i ate, so i had an abdominal ultrasound and my galbladder was normal. My GP finally sent me to a specalist, and i saw a gastroenterologist. Throughout the past two months my pain kind of shifted from upper right pain when ever i ate, to lower pain, to pain kind of randomly on the mid and lower right side with no clear pattern. After a bunch of blood tests, nothing came up to reveal a digestive thing but it did reveal that I had really low B12 levels. But the weirdest thing is happening now is cramping...

Ever since january 2015, i would randomly get a duller version of this lower right pain and sometimes it would show up for a couple of days then leave. This happens in between these episodes. Either im having an episode of pain that is so bad i cant eat so i go to the ER, or its dull but there and shows up with no pattern. During this past month of waiting for appointments and test results i had a new symptom. Cramps. They felt like period intense cramps but i wasn't on my period. I've always had cramps with my periods, but this time i had cramps for 2.5 weeks before my period... and really really bad a week before my period. And then when i finally got my period, the first day i had cramps so bad i couldnt move. I was bed ridden, i couldnt eat, it was sharp but crampy and very strong. I had pracitcally no cramping for the rest of my period and now that I am done my period, the pain ive been feeling the last two months has subsided and im kind of back to this post episode weird feeling of dull but sometimes worse pain. I now can eat again without pain, and my appetite is now just starting to get stronger after two months.

So to sum all of this information up

Episode #1(january):

-first occurence of really painful right lower abdominal pain

-no appetite

-nauseous 

-pelvic ultrasound(not transvaginal)+ abdominal ultrasound of right side

-normal appendix, suspected ovarian cyst rupture

Episode #2(september):

-same low right side pain but a little less intense

-no apetite

-worst nausea of my life

-3 pelvic (not transvaginal) ultrasounds, could not find appendix

-CT showed left ovarian cyst, normal appendix

-no true diagnosis, they said it could be ovarian cyst rupture or period related, but i did have gastritis

Episode #3 (begining of march to now):

-pain started as upper right abdominal pain, got this pain when i ate

-no appetite

-not too nauseous

-galbladder normal, so sent to gastroenterologist

-blood tests only showed low b12

-went back to GP, now waiting for an appointment with a gynocologist

When i saw the gastro doc he said that there is a possibility that this could be endometriosis. So my question here firstly is, is my menstrual cycle irregular? From the periods i've tracked the only weird irregularity was no period for 75 days after the january episode, then the 35 to 28 to 45 jump after the september episode, and now with this episode my cycle is not longer then 35 days anymore (longer than 35 days is considered an irregular long cycle) but this time ive had the worst cramps for weeks leading up the my period and then debilitiating worst cramps of my life only on the first day of my most recent period. idk the irregularies kind of seem situational to me considering the episodes of pain and the hospitilazation (and i lost alot of weight from not eating and stuff) But ever since my first period, it has never been regular, ive never known when i was going to get it, and i havent tracked those so who knows if it was longer than 35 day cycles.

The second question i have here is could this pain be someting like endometriosis despite it not being during my period, or something like PCOS? They keep on saying its ovarian cysts bursting, and i have had alot of cysts in the past year i guess. I've always had cramps during the begining of my period, and i guess now that i think about it i have had mild cramping sometimes for a week before my period (nothing like what i had this month tho)

Does my pain seem gynecological??? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you possibly have overian cysts. They are very painful especially if/when they rupture. Have you actually been to a gynocologist? If not that's who you need to go to. Quit with the gp they are clueless in gyno matters.
    • Posted

I have not seen a gynecologist yet, but my GP has referred me to one and i will be seeing one soon! Considering the fact that i've had multiple suspected ovarian cyst ruptures this year, would this be considered something like PCOS... or do i just have ovarian cysts??
    • Posted

It could be PCOS, but You probably just have follical cysts. Where the egg doesn't fully release from the overy or there are multiple eggs being released per cycle and one causes a cyst upon release from the overy especially since your pain is concentrated on one side mainly and the other numerous tests you've had have come back normal. I'd say it's overian cysts. That's what mine was. They come and goon their own but cause a lot of hassle and pain. Keep us updated. Good luck. Feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.