Is my problem b12?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I am new to this site, 3 months ago I started to feel dizzy out of nowhere and it's never gone away! I also have tired heavy legs, brain fog and achey tingly arms.

I have had every test under the sun and still no answers ... my b12 test was apparently "normal"

I have had injections for b12 on and off for years and I am vegetarian.... 3 years ago they stopped my injections as my level was high... however I have been told a serum level can be high but your body isn't absorbing?? My doc won't give me any injection because of this.... I beleive lots of GPs are reluctant?? Can anyone help me I am sick of this .... could it be down to b12 thank you

M

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You need to go and get a physical copy of your blood tests, that way you will know exactly what your gp calls normal and what range the results are.

the fact you have had b12 in the past means you have obviously had a problem and drs are supposed to investigate the reason why and also give injections all be it quarterly from diagnosis onwards. Once you have had any b12 injections there remains quite a lot within the system which is where the normal/high result comes from but unfortunately for many people just because it is high it doesnt necessarily mean that your body is actually using it, if this is the case your gp should be refering you to find out why.

lots of people have loads of problems getting what they believe the correct treatment for b12d and have to resort to self medicating be that by sub lingual lozenges, drops, nasal spray, patches or injecting.

you could look at b12d org and pernicious anemea sites both of which have much useful information and help.

• Posted

There is every chance you have got low B12 as you are vegetarian. Most B12 in our food comes from meat, fish, etc....if you aren't eating these foods then your levels will be low. Why have the doctors only been giving you injections at irregular intervals? Once you are on injections any blood testing is considered unnecessary. Of course levels will be high on injections. Has the doctor suggested any alternative supplements of B12 in your case. I wonder if tablets might work, or sublingual sprays or lozenges?

Some of us have issues within the digestive system, where the body can't absorb B12 in the gut. We have to have injections because tablets would not be absorbed as they rely on the digestive process.

Ask for a copy of your last blood test, so you can actually see what the "normal" level was. Anything under 200 should be treated in the UK, and in many other countries 500 is the cut off point.

The Pernicious Anaemia Society website can be helpful for more detailed information.

• Posted

My level was something like 700 I think ... but I have read a serum test doesn't mean u r absorbing it so isn't accurate?? And that more doctors need to treat the symptoms instead of going by a blood test that is inaccurate??

I'm so confused ... all other tests haven't flagged anything else so must be b12 right?

I don't eat meat or fish .... occasionally I have cheese but that's about it ......

• Posted

The two other blood test that show a deficiency of B12 at cellular level are MMA and homocysteine, I'm not sure if your GP would be prepared to test these for you. Do you take any extra vitamins and minerals at all?
    • Posted

I don't think they will do any other test concerning b12 😭

I just take a multi vitamin.... but I just don't know what else could be wrong with me

All my symptoms point to b12 and all other tests clear.... I am having an Mri next week as I have had a problem with neck pain but I have heard even this can be down to b12...

• Posted

For the past few months I have had monthly b-12 injections. My reason is perhaps different than yours. I have a new Doctor that I have been seeing for almost a year now. Back in July my complete blood test revealed a very high level of red blood cells. I had the same symptoms as you. After a multitude of tests right down to two bone marrow aspirations I finally got a diagnosis. Secondary Polycythemia. It's a red blood cell disorder. My course of treatment is b-12 injections that help produce heathy red blood cells. My body was not absorbing it so therefore the injections. I feel so much better. No more dizzy feelings, no more foggy periods where I can't think fast enough and a lot more energy. Hope you get to the bottom of this! 
    • Posted

Thanks for ur input.... did u have almost constant dizziness?? I am so fed up of it I really can't take.much more it's horrible
  • Posted

Yes the dizzy periods came out of nowhere. They did not last long but In my case it would last for about an hr. I would reach for my bottled water and drink as much as I could. I was horrified when it happened. I was ok when it happened at home. It was when I was out. Then came the panick. I hope you get to the bottom of this nightmare. Finally I did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.