Is physiotherapy appointment require after removing the pins and plate?What should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My wife had 1st surgery July 2016 for broken ankle.And again she had 2nd surgery Nov 2016 to remove plate and pins.Reason for removal is not adequate range of movement in the ankle.But we didn't receive any appointment letter for Phsiotherapy this time.(Nearly18days gone).Does she need phsiotherapy?If need how i can sort this out please anybody can help me out?Thanks.Jeya

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Is inadequate movement happened from not having P.T. possibly? Im worried because opted out of P.T.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.You are right.After the first surgery they found inadequate movement.But we don't know yet after the 2nd surgery.My concern is.Does she need to see P.T now(18days) or shall we wait until see the consultant on 12th Jan 2017?I am worrying did they forget PT appointment?

• Posted

If someone is in cast, For example 6 weeks in cast, then after opening the cast that’s the time for start movements, walking & P.T,

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.She was asked to do full bearing on the same day(2nd Operation-no cast).My worries is did they forget PT appointment?

• Posted

I had my removal 10 day ago and I was not given any heads up regarding PT. I have been WBAT(weight bearing as tolerated). I do not expect to be given any Physio as my ROM (range of motion) is almost normal. The Pins did limit some of the range of motion for me but not serious. In her case they may be waiting to see if her ROM improves from hardware removal. Did she get her sutures out already?
    • Posted

Alright! No cast! So I think they do not forget anything, don’t worry At All! So just do what Doctors have told to do... You are saying they have told to do full bearing, SO does it! I do not think they have forgotten anything...

Just remember to not afraid, and do what they have told you to do, ASAP...

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.Yes sutures removed after 2wks of surgery.this is 4th week.Main issue was ROM(range of movement) and pain to do the 2nd surgery.
  • Posted

I haven't been through this but I'd say if range of movement is an issue the only way to get it back is exercises - either physio or a good chiro and keep doing them regularly.

I had a break with an operation fibula   plate + 7 crews) + tibia ( 1 screw) almost 7 months ago. The chiro told me I could stop doing the exercises once I started windsurfing again but I'm still doing them as I can feel them helping.

I am finally starting to walk normally although I think I reinjured myself a week or so ago so will have to be careful of that.

• Posted

Hi, Can you list us jobs that "physio or a good chiro", done for you that you find most effective?

What you find there useful?

• Posted

I have been working with my chiro for many years and she does DNS ( google it). She has given me a routine of many exercises that gently work at getting your brain to realise it's ok to reuse your ankle ( my interpretation of it).

So rather than forcing things it's more gradual and gentle but effective and less pain.

You'd probably have to find a chiro that does that and get them to tailor it to you.

For example- rather than stand up against a wall and bend one knee towards the wall to stretch the back of the other leg we have me lying on my back legs in the air and stretch each one straight alternatively for 30 secs.

I suppose the basic chiro i/ physio one is foot back and forward / rotate foot in circles to get ankle to rotate ( both directions).

.Also do as much as you can of things you love - e.g for me the windsurfing in footstraps is great to get my ankle movement in all directions and I also get hydro therapy walking the board out to the windline but it's  less boring than the pool.

She said the pain I had was probably a few structures  ( I didn't get the exact name - but like Fascia) that had maybe been stuck together. With my extra range of movement as I get better they have popped apart.So it was painful but part of the healing process and a good sign.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.