Is RLS a Celtic issue?

Posted , 6 users are following.

A very bright doctor I saw yesterday - herself an RLS sufferer - told me two things I hadn't heard before and I was staggered. First she said it seemed to be a Celtic problem (and I am a Celt). What about the rest of you? I would love to know if there is anything in what she said. Would you let me know if you have Celtic ancestory or are Cletish please?

The second thing she said was that RLS was aggravated by excess blood in the legs at night and doing leg pumps immediatley before bed helped a lot.

And the third thing she tole me was to try Doxylamine an over the counter drug. Anyone familiar with it?

I would really like to hear from you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is said that the nearer the equator you live the less likely you are to suffer from RLS. I think I'm more probably Saxon.

Any exercise alleviates, of course – for a while.

Plenty of sleep is good for RLS, so if doxylamine helps you sleep, it may help your RLS.

However, I think more severe sufferers of RLS will shout that these two suggestions will get them nowhere.

• Posted

Hi Trevor, I have RLS which I know to be drug induced.  I am also a Celt.

I googled RLS & if you do the same, then look at the Wiki page, it goes into more depth than your GP.  It is quite interesting.

The drug she mentions is an antihistamine.  Does she use it because I know that my RLS was triggered by another 'old fashinoned' antihistamine, called hydroxyzine.  Mine is also triggered by Omeprazole & Ranitidine, which I don't take together but I take one until the RLS starts, then take the other for a while!

I don't think anyone really knows.

• Posted

trevor, my mother did geneology so I know I have a lot of Irish and Scot in my ancestory.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.