Is sertraline going to improve with time?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello this site is really helpful. I'm sorry if I've asked loads of questions on here but I need to know if sertraline will make me better?

I've had severe anxiety for 3 months. It started when I stupidly came off Prozac after 20 years of taking it and being anxiet free. Within a month I developed stomach cramps, dizziness and irritability. This all happened whilst I was in a stressful job. When I went back on Prozac it made me manic, my stomach got worse and I was suicidal. I couldn't get out of bed and suffered 2 panic attacks and had to have an ambulance out both times.

Beginning of January I was put on sertraline and weaned off Prozac. Ive now been on sertraline for 7 weeks and titrated I to 150mg.

Where I am now - my appetite is back, I'm getting out of bed and have been out to the shop, cinema, yoga, and 3 job interviews and have been offered a job. I'm active in the house with chores. I concentrate better and my mood is about 50% better. I'm not so restless and people say I seem much better. My motivation is improving so I believe I am getting better.

However I still suffer with anxiety. When I do go out I feel the adrenaline rising in my stomach and chest, my muscles are constantly tight and ache and burn. In the morning I feel worse and get a bit light headed. I still constantly have negative thoughts like I have something serious wrong with me and dr has missed it.

I've tried mediation and read up so much about anxiety. I can't talk to family anymore about how I still feel because they think I'm better and I've put them through a lot.

What I need to know is will the sertraline continue to make me better or will this be it and I have to live with this fear ? Anyone give me some positive feedback on how long this medication takes to fully work. I just want my life back as these anxiety symptoms are restricting me and I feel so alone. Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey I've been on sertraline for nearly a year. I have seen some changes but I do feel my anxiety still gets bad a lot of times. I recommend aswell do not drink on them becasue it just messes up your system and your anxiety will be super bad for a couple days after

• Posted

You are getting better daily Karen. Be patient with your self 7 weeks isnt that long to be on a new med so give it more time.

Can you also do some self help skills to help you on your journey to recovery.

Mindful meditation is good , walks in the fresh air , yoga etc etc

You will get there and well done getting to 3  interviews .. That is a massive acheivement in itself xx

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I know I'm inpatient and I got better 20 years ago so I will again x

• Posted

Your doing great... I understand it feels like a lifetime when anxiety is running riot...

One day at a time xxx😊

You will do this xxx

• Posted

You can ask anytime and that is why such a site is there.

Yes you will get better i am in the same place but with seroxat. I am almost 2 months on it and i am on 40mg which almost the same as your dose. I return to work 2 weeks ago and i still have anxiety and cant drive my car. But better then before i started at least now i go work.

We need to give it time and with your dose you need to give 150 at least 6 to 8 week for full effect as what i am doing with my dose.

• Posted

Thank you for your post. I suppose I am being impatient but anxiety is horrific. I know there's no quick fix. Mornings are worse I literally lie in bed wen I wake up and I can feel my muscles going tight and I try to relax them but I can't sad

I do hope you improve too. Well done for going back to work x

• Posted

Oh yeah the mornings are tough. Me too i wake up and stay there for a while until i have the power to get up.

It is ok you will get better and i will get better and forget about the anxiety thing.

• Posted

The physical symptoms scare me. I get painful muscles, discomfort upper abdomen, light headed, aching neck and shoulders. Is this normal ?
    • Posted

Yeah those are normal i get them too .... And also get tired and sleepy.
    • Posted

The physical symptoms are horrible... arent they? Even though the rational mind now knows it's all down to anxiety... the unrational mind thinks no... it's got to be something worse....Took me ages to accept that dizzyness and vision probs was anxiety and not a tumour or something..

Then your on high alert.. Now if i get the odd dizzy do or light headed i ignore and carry on regardless.

Keep smiling sweetie xx

• Posted

Thank you gill

When you did accept that it was anxiety causing you the symptoms did they go away? I can't see me ever being normal again. Did you say you are on sertraline ? Xx

• Posted

After keep visiting doctor and i wasnt ill. Researching anxiety and doing CBT.. It brought it all into prospective. It still questioned why? etc.

But it tought me to be more positive and change the way i thought about it.

Made me understand i could do it but needed the tools to do it.

No i am not on sertraline.

You will feel normal again... there are always the odd set back but the good days become more and more frequent xxx

• Posted

Karen 

The medication seems to have begun working for you, give it more time you have a great deal to gain and nothing to loose.

You always have this site and caring people to talk to, give those tbs time to work

BOB

• Posted

I have been on sertraline for a few years, It took around 6mths for it to complety help me, even though i don't notice that i am changing, my wife dos and f i go on a downer she will always ask, "Have you taken your tablets", I have become aware that it takes someone around me to notice changes as don't. I would suggest shari your feelings etc with some on close and that will understand you. there are many o there ha do not understand....At times sertraline was not enough, i was able to have some therapy from CBT, this was to manage my anger, after seeing around four therapists i finally got one that suited me, and although i still have low periods i'am in a much better place. I would also encouage you to keep an eye on this subject, share and update us, this is also a help to others as well. It helps to know there are others that suffer which can be a comfort, knowing you are not on your own. good luck and chin up.

• Posted

Hi Karen

It's time to give yourself a break -- 3 interviews and a job offer is fantastic and all the other achievements -- please remind yourself how well you've done AND you're still early days on setraline!!! I think you've done great and want to say very well done!!!!

I have a job interview tomorrow (a much lesser job than in the past) and I'm so anxious! I've just started taking Prozac 10days ago as had been quite depressed for 3 or 4 months. I'm praying they'll help as I'm not getting out much and letting down people I care about (even struggle to walk the dog sometimes!)  I've had two frightening panic attacks but I think I bring them on with my negative thoughts. 

I hope you continue making great progress and hope things continue to get easier -- especially the horrid anxiety.

Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you for your lovely positive message. I can see myself getting better but I really want to be back to my happy self again.

I was on Prozac for 20 years and it was a life saver. Just stupid of me coming off it on my own.

It's a horrible thing isn't it?

I'm happy about the job as I need to get back into the real world; too much time at home ruminating.

Good luck tomorrow. If it's any consolation I was nervous in the waiting room but fine when I was being interviewed. Keep in touch and let me know x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.