Is sitting cross legged for long durations OK in AS.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Friends I was diagnosed suffering from AS in 2011 on the basis of x-rays by a orthopaedician.  The fusion was visible in ribs and other places.  My query is whether sitting cross legged for longer duration causes the AS to worsen. I am a 46 years male.  Will be grateful for your reply

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If your talking about a meditation posture, I think in the long run its better to sit on a meditation stool, because you lower back is in a better position.
  • Posted

Yes I was talking about meditation posture only.  Thanks for the reply
  • Posted

I'm surprised u even CAN cross ur legs while sitting. I can't any more. If I DO try, it hurts my back, as everything is connected. I'm s woman who has ALWAYS say "Indian style" (idk what the PC term wud be now) and I DO forget sometimes that I cannot do that any more. I don't sit on the floor any more, since it's difficult and painful to get back up, but, sitting on a chair or the couch, I'll go to cross my legs, and I'm reminded, with much pain, that I can no longer do this. I don't think that crossing one's legs has anything at all to do with the progression of this condition (I refuse to call it a 'disease', since that denotes all sorts of things in ppl's minds. Furthermore, it makes me feel like a 'victim' and there's nothing, nor anyONE that/who is gonna victimize ME. 😎🙃
  • Posted

Dear EMT 929,

Thanks for replying because at the back of mind there was this thought that sitting cross legged will worsen my condition.  Although over the years the bony fusion has taken place at many places.  Doctor had told me not to sit cross legged five years back but I have carried on.  I just want to add  a few lines based on my little spiritual knowledge which may or may not be correct that whatever good or bad I am going through, there is only one person responsible for this, that is me.  Hope don't mind.  Thanks once again.

• Posted

Sudhir,

I dont and wouldnt sit, stand, lay,in any position for long periods of time. It isnt fun, but we need to stretch, walk, move around, change positions before we feel cramped, stiff, etc.

I am 62, anklyosed fully in spine, neck and ribs.I couldnt sit cross legged at all.

• Posted

Hi sudhir,

I abide by Greg, we must keep our parts moving, and this might be the single cure, else it will exacerbate our painful areas. I have been living with it for 5 years. 29 yrs old male started developing signs of fusion. I job require 9 hrs of sitting, i try stretching myself periodically in these 9 hrs. May god bless you

• Posted

Dear Greg 50480 and RSY,

Thanks for your views.  I agree that to we must keep on moving our parts and periodic stretch/movement after a short intervals is the way out.  May you both be always happy and peaceful.  Thanks once again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.