Is telmisartan good for high BP?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 56 year old female, slightly overweight 73kg.162m, no smoking or drinking.diagnosed with high BP six months ago ranging from 140-150 over 85-95. sometimes as high as 167 over 95. I have been trying to avoid meds but the fluctuating numbers compelled my doctor to put me on meds. so from today, I will be taking Telmisartan 40mg. everyday. I am active..do Zumba and yoga four times a week and also am working.  I am already on statin and hate the thought of taking another med. My late father had high cholesterol and bp so I guess I inherited as my cholesterol remains high if I dont take statin despite my food check. Please advise if its okay for me to take this. thanks a lot...Jenna

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Whilst I'm not a doctor and wouldn't dare presume to offer qualified medical advice, please do think carefully about taking statins, particularly long term.  They are seriously bad news.  It is fact that they cause muscle damage, liver damage and it's now widely suspected by some medical professionals that they contribute to dementia.  It is also fact that those suffering with Alzheimers frequently have low cholesterol, possibly as a result of artificially reducing it too far by taking statins.  I understand that you have high BP as well as high cholesterol and I have no knowledge on the BP issue as mine is okay.  I do however know that I blindly followed my doctor's advice to take statins and they have caused me severe and probably permanent damage.  I personally will risk the high cholesterol rather than the higher risk of disability and dementia from statins.
    • Posted

Thank you loxie...appreciate your advice. Actually I have familial hypercholesteromia...means I have inherited it from my late father and it stays 8 to 9 at all times if I dont take it. It true cos my mind has become extremely foggy and I keep forgetting stuff. I think I should seriously decide on stopping this. many thanks again Jenna
    • Posted

I have the same Jenna, familial hypercholesteromia, and mine too sticks at around 9.  I got open threats from my doctor re statins that they would effectively wash their hands of me if I didnt do as I was told and take them and they categorically denied there were any dangers.  I now know better.  My cholesterol is still high but I have no arthersclerosis and my BP remains normal, my balanced view now I've done a lot more research and read all the helpful stuff on these forums, is that I am way more at risk of permanent health damage by taking statins than I am from the high cholesterol.  However, each case is different and has to be considered on a personal basis.  I honestly cannot however see any benefits to reducing cholesterol to artificially low levels in isolation, getting your whole health better by various means including BP meds is definitely the way forward.  High cholesterol alone is not proven to cause heart attack or stroke, it's what else is going on in the body to contribute that is the risk factor.
  • Posted

I echo Loxie.  

I did not need statins but was prescibed them anyway because of a heart op I needed in 2012.  My chiro was the first to advise me that brains are made up mostly of fat and need - no, require - cholesterol to function correctly.  

My memory got so bad that I could not remember my account number when making a deposit at my bank, where I had been a member for over 25 years.  Dimensia would have eventually ensued because he wanted me on them for the rest of my life "just in case".  

I stopped them and my memory started returning after months off of them, and I am so glad to have those memories back that stayed hidden all the months I was on them, making me feel like a zombie.  

I DK about telmisartan, but it was front page news on a very educated magazine devoted to the extension of life.  (Can't print the name of the mag here, but hopefully you get the hint).  The article they had about it cited no side effects and some actual perks you would not expect, but were good for you.  

Google it.  They swear by it. 

• Posted

wow thanks Mr.bob...i think this is the only good news I heard about these life time medications. As I told Loxie, my mind has become foggy and I keep on forgetting stuff, which I cant afford to do at work. I took Telmisartan first time last night and I had palpitations for couple of hours.  It frightened me. There are lots of side effects as listed on the pamphlet. A pharmacist said thats probably my BP went too low and I need to reduce the dose to space it out. like 20 mg. morning and 20 mg. afternoon. I need to talk to my doctor but he is busy until later. Can I please have the name of the magazine? You may wish to message me privately.  Many thanks Jenna

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I tried hitting your little envelope up at your name, Jenna, so I could PM you as suggested, but it does not respond.  Nothing up above that I hit responds either.  Not Shop, not Symptom Checker, etc.  It's all frozen up, the only response I can get is to hit Reply.  

Perhaps the moderator could check that out for us?

• Posted

Hi mrbob,

Yes, looks like there is an issue with the site as you describe which has been reported, apologies for the inconvenience. I'm not sure how long it will take to fix but it is being looked into urgently.

In the meantime if you go to the discussion list page here

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/statins-and-other-lipid-lowering-medicines-3168

you can click on jenna's name on that page to go to her profile where the message link does work.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

I was prescribed Enalypril for tending my post heart operation status, which also depresses BP, and even at the lowest dose of 250mg/day was making me drowsy at the drop of a hat.  I couldn't make it thru a movie without getting drowsy and wanting to just roll on my side and lie down.

After being trained in how to titrate my dosage by my cardiologist, I have now gone to 1/4 of that dose, which he says he'd like me to be on even in low dose status, if only for the heart benefits.

I found my BP has been affected by my drinking coffee, just like happened with my dad when his Tuesday morning Dr. visit would follow his RE meeting where he would drink lots of coffee, resulting in his being prescribed BP medication.  Same for me.  Last couple times I have gone into my Dr's office WITHOUT drinking coffee, my BP has been completely normal!

Do you know that the military will not allow any flier who is on BP medication to take a plane up?  Looks like they are afraid of them blacking out in a panic situation and crashing a plane. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.