Is there a Best time to do stretches with Ankylosing spondylitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is there a best time to do stretches with ankylosing spondylitis?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not sure if there is a best time....so often I have tried to stretch and something has locked up...like stretch my legs and my calf muscles will go into spasm...can anyone else suggest something please...we'd all like to know.

• Posted

For sure it is best to see a physiotherapist, and if you get a good one, she will not only give you specific exercies but also guide you on not over doing them.  But it can be painful just getting in the car to go and see one.  So I am learning from past lessons and constantly reading how to do them corredtly, and not ever doing it.  These days I am back to very light stretches and unable to strengthen, so might have to start from sctach back in the pool and slow walking and light stretches to get back to a strangthning physio routine.  They say once in morning and once in evening.  I do little things to ease the pain throuhg out the day.  Best of luck.
    • Posted

Hiya...you are so right about getting into the car to go and see the Doc...my car is an APV wagon...high off the ground so it is a huge ordeal to get me up into the front passenger seat....we really need a block and tackle. lol...or maybe a crane..ha..ha. Doctors don't realise the difficulty with appointments..mine can only see me between 7 and 9 p.m...We have to trek down the mountain on very dark unmade roads to get to the hospital which is 8 klms away....better add that we need a helicopter here also....ha ha.. Lol... The price I pay for a doctors visit is the next day I can hardly move.

• Posted

have you tried the alexander technique semi-supine.  You can find information about it on the NHS evidence review and via the alexander technique website.  Puts your posture back in neutral - which helps with all the other symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi there Daniel, I just found your discussion..In relation to stretches, I use to go to physio, hydro and feldenkraise classes and between all them, have worked out what stretches best help me throughout the day most days.

Plus I be mindful of not overdoing it. My body tells me when I do. Been very active all my life. I'm just 54 now and it's been a very difficult adjustment to make but I'm getting there. Now winter is nearly over, I intend to get back into hydro weekly and I always finish off with a few laps when the sea water finally warms up I will swap heated pool for sea.

I do a few stretches prior to getting out of bed while still in bed, I do a few more when i sit up on the bed and whilst getting dressed. In the shower I do few stretches.

I am mindful of how I walk and footwear and terrain and weight I carry or lift- prevent it when I can. We got to think before we do stuff or we pay for it.

Pain prevention most important especially before hydro. I've worked out, with my AS and bit of bone on bone in one hip, that I need Panadol osteo 2@6am, 2@noon and 2@6pm or it's not good. I'm also on a few other meds by rheumy as well to help try to reduce inflammation and fibromyalgia flare-ups. Just started on Humira in past 2 mnths and already starting to feel some benefit, so far it's just been 1 needle every 2 wks. If it proves it's OK for me, it'll be weekly then he'll try dropping off a few other meds, one at a time. All trial and error and we must be patient...

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jillian. I'm am still very new to this so just trying to do 20 mins of stretches a day and go on my excercise bike and do some martial arts classes as and when. This last week I've been really stiff in the mornings. I've been given naproxen now.

Also I have joined a group on Facebook 'Ankylosing spondylitis support droid uk' it's really good and very helpful I would recommend anyone join. So I don't use this site anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.