Is there a spiritual side to narcolepsy?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone my name is Joel and I've been suffering with narcolepsy from at least the age of 12, I'm 28 years old and was only diagnosed 3years ago! 

As as a young boy growing up I was always know for my sleeping and then became numb to the word lazy as it seemed that I lacked the drive to do anything I put my mind to, it became the norm to assume that I would start something and never finish it which was very disheartening at the best of times.

It started off with me falling asleep after meals and any time I was in a relaxed environment and as abnormal as this was it went unnoticed because I would spend most my nights up because of the amount of sleep I've had in the day so it looked like I was making up for lost sleep. (Wrong assumption)

My condition started getting scary and I noticed that I would stop breathing as I was sleeping and at the same time I couldn't move! It was like I was going to die and there was nothing I could do I could feel myself going and suddenly at the last moment I'd snap out fighting for breath, after months of this happening I soon got to grips with what was happening and could almost anticipate when it was going to happen because I would get this feeling like butterflies in my stomach as if the gravity beneath me got lighter and I was floating. I then noticed that 95% of these attacks occurred when laying on my back and at night only as I got older it would start happening in the day and in any sleeping position.

Over the years these attacks would vary between a couple times a day to a couple times in a week. 

My dreams seem so real and vivid it's unreal and I often get scared in my home. I've had out of body experiences on another type of level and last night something weird and terrifying happended to me, before I fell asleep I felt a presence in my home and I was freaked out and scared to sleep, as I fell asleep I feel into that state of not being able to move instantly which is the norm for me but on this occasion I heard my door open and footsteps to my bed at this point I was helpless and jumping in my paralysed body, I felt my bed dip and something laid and spooned me from behind at this point I was hysterical and somehow managed to break free, as scared as I was I couldn't get the strength to get up and drink some water and get myself together this is not unusual for this to happen to me and it often can happen straight after an attack as I'm to tired to get up I get pulled straight back into what ever it is that is attacking me. Ive noticed that when I pray as I'm laying there helplessly it gets more violent as if I'm p*ssing what ever it is off and that where ever I am in my life spiritually mirrors how I'm effected in the night. I just really want this to stop I have no peace!!  Is there anyone else out there that understands what I'm feeling. I don't want to seem like I'm losing my mind but this is just basic stuff that I've experienced a lot more has happened but I've just had enough I'm under no medication as the madaffinil had no effect on me and my condition stops me from keeping appointments with my neurologist I feel alone and without help or guidance and my quality of life is at an all time low as Im depressed a lot of the time and don't understand why. And tbh this is the first time I've vented about my feeing and I don't think I've come to terms with my illness.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh you poor thing. I don't have narcolepsy but I did go through a period in my life where I had the kind of attacks you describe. It would always happen shortly after falling asleep and I would be woken bya terrible fear and knowledge there was  presence in my room - some kind of demon. It would pin me down and almost suffocate me. It would happen when I had a lot of guilt in my life. When I was in emotional conflict. It happens when you wake up but are still in sleep paralysis. Normally when you wake up, you can move, but this is a type of sleep disorder where the paralysis still remains after you have woken up. This leads your brain to try to rationalize why you can't move and because you are still sleep, it thinks something must be holding you down Usually something evil. Sometimes I would e to fight the thing off only to have it 'attack' me a second time. It truly is terrifying and I am you are going through it. The only thing that helped with me is I started to tell it (mentally) to 'p off!' And this did seem to send it away. I very rarely have the experience any more.
    • Posted

Sorry about the missed words and letters. My keyboard seems to play up on this site for some reason and intermittently miss letters and words.
    • Posted

Hi evergreen

I just wanted you to know that your reply to Joel really helped me, I occasionally get similar events and knowing this makes me less scared of them.  

xxx

• Posted

Really pleased it has helped you. I think once you become aware that it is your own mind creating it, you also realise that you can manipulate it too. It truly is terrifying at first. I don't know how I did it but I started to change it into something I could tell to P off.
  • Posted

Joel, if you google 'sleep paralysis' there is loads of information regarding your experience.
  • Posted

What you are going through is probably sleep paralysis. I have it too and have done for the last 32 years. Try to get help from your GP or sleep clinic as there are other drugs for Narcolepsy. Modafinil works for me with effexor to control the cataplexy.

Yoga helped me with the sleep paralysis as it is very frightening and I had to learn to make myself relax through it.

Don't be depressed about it.... get some help.

What part of the country do you live in?

Best wishes

• Posted

Hello my name is Demetri I live in Detroit Michigan. Wut you have described I experience weekly as well. Also I am narcoleptic. It started for me in 8th grade and now I'm in my 20's and been diagnosed for about 2 years. I can go on and on about the demonic forces I have encountered throughout my life but wut seems more important is to explain (the best I can) our position in this our spiritual dilemma. Wen u said you were sleeping and you felt a presence, and it came and spooned you. (Sigh) yes it was a demon working for the devil. Now first understand one thing(if you don't nothing else) THE DEVIL IS A LIAR. Prince of darkness,thievery, hate, and distortion. I have been thru all of what you describe. After awhile they'll come to present themselves as a attractive female or male and try to have sex with you. The reason for this is so they can implant themselves inside your mind. Ever woke up after one of these encounters and was mad and didn't kno why. They are implanting everything that they are inside your mind. Now saying that. If you try to fight it they will become violent if you don't succumb. And they will hit and beat you if you try further to handle this on your own. You need help. And there only one man who can help you. Jesus. After one encounter I had with demons I was lying in the street (dreams) after being beaten. I thought lord I've been going thru this for a long time will I ever b free? And I was looking down at the ground and I thought if I believe someone will be there to help then they will. and I looked up and I saw shining berfooted feet n front of me. And I heard a voice say David 27. And if you look in psalms you will see that's are the writing of David. So look at psalm 27. I then realized that the only way you can be free is by the name of Jesus. And 2 repent. You must seek the refuge of god. Since I have done that I know him PERSONALLY and he has shown me his glory face to face. I have accepted this and my life is better for it. But it's important for you to know that you will have to make a decision on who you will serve. God or saten. I have chosen god and now I know that he's chosen me and he loves me unconditionally. Take this as you will,just sharing my view point IL be praying for you brother in Jesus holy name
    • Posted

Lol I just told it to **** off. That seemed to work.
  • Posted

joel15659 I feel so bad for you!  and it is truly terrifiying, but as you noticed when you were praying you were pissing this thing off!  Just one step more and it will leave you alone, as this has happened to me as well.  All you need to say is "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus!" Say it with authority, the authority you have in Christ and it WILL go, it has no choice! then just pray and let Him calm you and bring you peace.  This has worked for me and it will work for you!
  • Posted

Joel,

Your story is very like my own and I want to share my experience. Please bear in mind as you read this that it is also my first time venting this so if my story seems a bit scattered thats why.

Ok so I have had narcolepsy my whole life I guess and I am now 33., I was diagnosed two years ago officially which is also around the time I started to make some lifestyle changes. I was a full time profesional sheep shearer and that required a huge ammount of physical energy so being undiagnosed at the time I just told myself I had no time to be sleepy and kept moving to prevent any sleepy episodes, however as soon as I stopped moving I couldnt fight it. The scary ones were about 2 times a day at this stage. Unsatisfied in my career I chose to move to holland and to take some time out and reevaluate what I wanted. It turned out to be a really smart move as I am still here. This is where i discovered a slightly more spiritual view on things. I am still a very simple hard working guy but I discovered myself on a different level. I am not religious and never really was. I thought thers was something bigger at work but 'no man in the sky' is as simply as I can put it. My girlfriend Cynthia is a wholistic therapist and she obsereved me struggling with my sleep patterns and the night terrors. I began to open up about my experiences and she helped me get a better understanding of what happens to me from an outside perspective. My belief is that the terrors are your cataplexy kicking in before you are fully onto the full REM sleep frequency. What I am learning is the different kind of dream states exist on different frequencies. As I learn to accept myself for who I am, I realise now where I had been denying myself as narcoleptic. Shearing had no place for my narcolepsy therefore I just flat out said no to it. My paralasis and "my visitor" I think were very connected to this because as I allowed my narcolepsy to be there my terrors of the shadowy pressence sitting on my bed decreased to once or twice a month. Although I still fell into the same state of paralasis and the same state of sleep, the visitor wasnt there with me. Now I just had the fear of being stuck in my body aware and awake but with no control of it. -Please note this fear as a trigger for the next stage of fear ie the unwanted guest.-

Now then, I need to jump forward and then come back to this.

I want to tell you about what I began to explore in this state when the visitor wasnt there. So you said you know the feeling of being trapped in your body.... This is where I made my inner discovery. At this point as you view your body, there is a separation. You can put your attention to your fingers but cant move them so you get scared. I think this is a separation between consciousness and pysical body which is where the spirituality comes into play. I think that I am my consciousness and my body is just my vehicle. There is something bigger at work that we as humans cannot precieve. I think it was Einstien that said to understand the universe think in frequency and vibration. Consciousness works on so many different levels that we think we understand it, but we only understand it from behind the windscreen of our vehicles. Anyhoo not going to far down that road. So my next stage of this was when i was not affraid of this paralasis I found that I began to float, not only that but i could be anywhere I wanted to be, I only need to think about somewhere and I was there imediatly. And this also means if I only think of my body thats where I stay.

Get it?

Now going back to that trigger I mentioned (fear of being paralized). At this point instead of getting stuck and affraid of the visitor coming back, tell yourself its ok he/she isnt coming this time, I am in charge of what happens next. Which I connect to my awake life as I am in charge of my life as well and I decide what I do next. Your waking life is very connected to your dreams. So I guess my biggest point of this is: fear gives way to acceptance. This isnt based on anything other than my own experience with narcolepsy and I genuinly believe I am on the right track.

One last spiritual thought. If everything is connected and all is one surely the unwanted guest is part of the whole. Therefore it is part of you so what are you afraid of?

I hope this will help you out. If you have any more questions

I would be happy to help.

Kindest regards,

Gary

• Posted

Thank you, it felt really good to put that into words and kind of made a little more sense in my own head after I posted it. Narcolepsy is a curse but I am begining to learn that it is also a gift. There is so much to explore in the vibration and frequency of various states of consciousness. 
  • Posted

Hi Joel

All narcolepsy is is dreaming when you are awake and the sleep paralysis is because your body has gone to sleep before your brain has switched off. 

Stress is what creates this, so you have to try to understand how to let go of the stress in a healthy way and let that be your focus.

• Posted

Hi my name is kerry I got diagnosed early last year after going through a year of tests the last test was a sleep clinic I'm still understanding my illness cause I have narcolepsy & cateplexy even though it says it's temporary I still panicked when I'm paralysed and as for my muscles turning to jelly well it hasn't happened to many times in public but I use to have crazy dreams and wasn't sure if it was real or a dream. I don feel alone now I've read your story although at times I really do feel alone it's not an illness to deal with on your own but hey we survive I guess be good to chat to you more also I was thinking I'd like to raise mawarness and money for this cause it's real close to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.