Is there always a cause for neuropathic pain?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have had a variety of X-Rays and scans including a whole body bone scan and an MRI scan and have been to see two consultants after having a virus in December which left me with terrible pain to my mid back, originally on one side but now across both sides.  At times I feel as though someone is drilling into my spine.  The conclusion reached by the medical profession is that I have neuropathic pain (my back also hurts when I lean back in a chair or wear a bra) although it doesn't hurt if it is prodded.  I have tried all the usual medications without much success and am now on my sixth day of the LIDOCAINE patch which I thought would be miraculous but hasn't done anything to relieve the pain.  What I really need to know is - does neuropathic pain always have an underlying cause i.e a trapped nerve?  I think if I knew what was causing all this pain that I may be able to get a better understanding of it and hopefully find a cure.  Also, is there any other kind of scan that may show up something that is causing the pain, maybe something more detailed than an MRI scan.  Hope to hear from you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyce, I have sciatic nerve damage from hip revision They gave me EMG test from neurologist doctor. Ask your gp to refer you if thats possiable for what you have going on . I hope you get some answers , Do you have burning or weakness??

Take Care

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie,  No I don't have burning or weakness just this horrid pain across my mid-back and in my mid spine.  I thought if there was a more detailed scan it may show something up that could be removed.  I know it sounds silly wanting to find something but at least I could perhaps get something done about it and the pain would go.  The odd thing is that it doesn't hurt when I lay on my side in bed or when I first get up in the mornings.  The pain really starts when I start doing things, i.e standing at the sink and washing up and just normal everyday things.  Really bad when I lean back in a chair.  Up until December I was fit and healthy and I just want to know why I am like this now.
    • Posted

Joyce, When I done for the day from doing household things thats when my nerve pain sets in , but besides the nerve pain I have bulging disk thats narrowing in my lower back. Just dont stop trying to find out whats going on because you know your body ,and you know something isnt right. Maybe some physical therapy might help. I start physical therapy Monday in the pool really looking forward to that . I hope you  get some answers soon never stop listening to your body

Take  Care let me know how your doing

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Joyce

Neuropathic pain always has an underlying cause, in my case it was caused by 25 years of frequent back spasms, it doesn't show on a scan because it is damage to nerves and there a many things that can cause it, shingles ,surgery and viral infection.

I don't think it can be cured only treated. If you are still getting pain then talk to your doctor as you may need things like Fentanyl and or morphine, unfortunately it's something you have to live with but, with the right medication it is livable.

Good luck Joyce I hope my words will be of help

Take care regards

John

Attempt82

• Posted

Thank you Jackie for your kind words.  Hopefully, one day someone will make a breakthrough in the treatment of this horrid pain.  Thanks again and good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Joyce12429 as far as I am aware there is always a reason for the nerve pain. Mine is caused by multiple disc prolapses that has impinged my L5 nerve root. So at least I know the reason for this nasty pain..The only medication that helped with the nerve pain is amitryptaline. I have recently (2 wks) started using fentanyl patches while at the same time doing a reducion detox on tramadol..I know its trial and error finding the right combination that suits...If something you feel is not working then ask to try something else..I wish you well on this horrid journey jx
  • Posted

Hi Joyce

I would have thought that the virus you had in December has a lot to do with the pain you are having and if it's Neuropathic Pain then there is no cure only thing is to manage the pain through trial and error. I have had it for over 2 years and have good and bad days. Unfortunately They don't know what caused mine and I had never heard of it before. I am on 1800mg of Gabapentin and 600mg of duloxotine which helps but does not cure. So sorry you might just have to put up with it and try and adapt your life around it as I have. Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol I too in the past was taking Gabapentin then pregabalin then duloxotine, and its only recently 2 weeks that I have been taking amitryptaline. I have to admit that this seems to be the drug that works for me, no longer am I awake most of the night with chronic back, hip, leg pain, but its the reduction of nerve pain that has really lifted my spirits..Because we are all unique what suits one does,nt suit all . I mean Gabapentin for example really did not agree with me yet it suits you..I really hope Joyce finds something that will help her...Good Luck to you all jx
  • Posted

Hi joyce i had lots of disk problems in my back had pain in my right leg.Then i had muscle condition it was horrible i had a op on my spine top of it i am on the two drugs that has been good for me i do hope you be able to sort yours not nice to have pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.