Is there an interaction between MST and Naproxen iftakentogether?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Sorry if this is the wrong forum......mods move it if necessary.

I'm mostly on Osteoaritis/Hip Replacement etc forums.

After a second hip replacement, doing an NHS exercise I fractured my "Greater Trochanter Bone"

That was Feb 2014 and I'm on cruches permanently.

About 3 weeks ago the GP put me on MST {took me off the codeine}  To be taken twice a day {12 hours beween them}

I'm on Naproxen......twice a day {12 hrs between them}

I've been taking both together...9am and 9pm Does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldnt take them together?

Thanks

Eileen   UK

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi eileen. As far as I know it's ok to take both together. They work differently. Naproxen will reduce pain and inflammation whereas MST blocks pain. Hope you get some relief
    • Posted

Hi Matron

I know you from another forum smile

Thanks......I didnt think they would interact because I thought the same as you.  Different families......one anti inflammitory and one opiod.....But it just occured to me???? I will see the doc in about 10 days time so I will check then as well.

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hello eileen. It's always a good idea to check but if you didn't want to make an appointment, speak to your pharmacist. They have extended knowledge of drugs. Take care 
  • Posted

Hi Matron

I'll ty and get the time to go to the pharmicist  lol

Its arthritis care week and I'm a volunteer and it has been chaotic

I do have an appointment with the GP in a weeks time so we'll see what shes says

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

You are right to be concerned. My mother is an RN. I have also checked this out on the internet. I have norco in case i have bad pain. I am recovering but my doctor told me not to take norco/vicodin (which is an opiod) with any type of NSAID. For one thing it will make you feel like crap in the long run. Another thing to consider is that it may cause internal damage to your organs to take both together. I don't know why doctors don't understand this but I think with your condition you should qualify to be on Oxycodone or Oxycontin. Just because people abused it does not mean you don't need it ior that you will have that problem. I was on Naproxen during the time of severe back pain and it caused me severe stomach pain. I immediately quit taking because of the risk of NSAIDS and stomach bleeding. Opiods - when taken as prescribed are safe, but I would call the nurse and tell them you know you shouldn't be taking them together. Doctors make a lot of mistakes. I should know. One of them almost killed me with a medication mix. Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Debra

That is frightening that  a doc almost killed you with a mix of medications.

I know my GP has suggested....amitryptiline {sp?} I said no its contra indicated with my anti convulsant tablets. {Which she prescribes every month for me} I had EP when I was 18 months old {due to whooping cough}  It was bad until my mid 20s......the last seizure I had was during my last pregnancy and she is 34 now!!!! So its well stabilised but I still take meds.  I refuse to take anything that might do any harm. All I would need to happen would be a seizure, then lose my licence!!

Anyway he told me it wasnt contra indicated. I said humour me and check please.  He did and said well it is..... but only for the higher dose for depression not the lower dose I'll be giving you as a muscle relaxant.  No thanks.   Not taking the chance.

I'm trained as an RMNS {35 years ago} Registered Nurse forMentaly Subnormals.......I know there isno such now.....Learning difficulties.....but that is what my badge said at thetime I qualified so I do know little bits and pieceswink

I still remember my drug assessment although a lot of it will have changed now  LOL  It gives my courage to argue with the docs if I think they are wrong

You take care

Love

Eileen  UK

I've been on Naproxen for quite a while with no side effects. I take lansoprozol {sp again....sorry}

• Posted

And here is a long term warning for mixing opioids with NSAIDS!  The use of opioid analgesics combined with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) for the relief of pain is a risky proposition. NSAIDs are popular prescription and over-the -counter (OTC) choices. This class of medication is utilized often because of its potent analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties. These benefits must be weighed against a risk of gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding. Bleeding can begin just about anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract. As many as 25% of patients using NSAIDs chronically develop gastrointestinal adverse effects.

What are the signs and symptoms of GI bleeding

Nausea, vomiting, loss of weight or appetite, and bleeding from ulcers. Bleeding is often first detected by blood in the stool and often begins with only minimal bleeding. It may not always be obvious to patients that they have a slow bleeding GI problem and may complain of feeling tired or weak. If the bleeding progresses to a heavy bleed, blood will usually appear in the vomit or stool. Stoolaining blood will appear tarry or black.Also, why doesn't he just give you Clonazepam for Seizures?? 

• Posted

SIDE EFFECTS of Elavil / Amitrypt....

This drug is actually a mood stabilizer and an anxiety drug. Doctors are now using it for pain and nerve problems too. 

Within each category the following adverse reactions are listed in order of decreasing severity. Included in the listing are a few adverse reactions which have not been reported with this specific drug. However, pharmacological similarities among the tricyclic antidepressant drugs require that each of the reactions be considered when amitriptyline is administered.

Cardiovascular: Myocardial infarction; stroke; nonspecific ECG changes and changes in AV conduction; heart block; arrhythmias; hypotension, particularly orthostatic hypotension; syncope; hypertension; tachycardia; palpitation.

CNS and Neuromuscular: Coma; seizures; hallucinations; delusions; confusional states; disorientation; incoordination; ataxia; tremors; peripheral neuropathy; numbness, tingling, and paresthesias of the extremities; extrapyramidal symptoms including abnormal involuntary movements andtardive dyskinesia; dysarthria; disturbed concentration; excitement; anxiety;insomnia; restlessness; nightmares; drowsiness; dizziness; weakness;fatigue; headache; syndrome of inappropriate ADH (antidiuretic hormone) secretion; tinnitus; alteration in EEG patterns.

Anticholinergic: Paralytic ileus; hyperpyrexia; urinary retention; dilatationof the urinary tract; constipation; blurred vision, disturbance ofaccommodation, increased ocular pressure, mydriasis; dry mouth.

Allergic: Skin rash; urticaria; photosensitization; edema of face and tongue.

Hematologic: Bone marrow depression including agranulocytosis,leukopenia, thrombocytopenia; purpura; eosinophilia.

Gastrointestinal: Rarely hepatitis (including altered liver function andjaundice); nausea; epigastric distress; vomiting; anorexia; stomatitis; peculiar taste; diarrhea; parotid swelling; black tongue.

Endocrine: Testicular swelling and gynecomastia in the male; breastenlargement and galactorrhea in the female; increased or decreased libido;impotence; elevation and lowering of blood sugar levels.

Other: Alopecia; edema; weight gain or loss; urinary frequency; increasedperspiration.

Withdrawal Symptoms: After prolonged administration, abrupt cessation of treatment may produce nausea, headache, and malaise. Gradual dosage reduction has been reported to produce, within two weeks, transient symptoms including irritability, restlessness, and dream and sleep

• Posted

Hi

Thank goodness I'm not taking amitryptiline!!!

Dont have to worry aboutall of the above

Eileen

• Posted

I think if your doctor prescribes both of your drugs rest assured he will be happy for you to continue. GP's and pharmacists are now linked up to a complicated computer system that alerts them if drugs they prescribe interact. I'm sure your doctor will discuss with you at some point the risk to your abdomen from taking anti inflammatory drugs for a long period of time. I take Naproxen so my doctor has prescribed Omeprazole to protect the lining of my stomach. It is very effective. Remember all medication has side effects but it doesn't mean every patient is going to suffer. It could be 1 in 1000 but they have to document it. 
    • Posted

Hi Matron

I thik you are right.......I take lansoprozol......originall it was omeprozol and ten she changed it.....said here was little difference in the two.

At least it rotects my stomach

Everyone is different.....all meds act differntly on different people.

I cannot tolerate tramadol {sends me loopy lol} others it doesnt bother them

Dihydracodeine.....I was given this once....I was on te ceiling if youknow what I mean. I tred it fo 2 days and then stopped

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.