is there any hope for me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I’m posting here in the hope that someone will have experienced my condition and have some helpful advice. I was diagnosed with chronic migraine 2 years ago, having already battled it for 2 years. I have continuous light sensitivity to a varying degree each day. I haven’t been able to watch TV for 4 years since the flickering images cause me nausea and a fainting feeling. This year, to add to this, I’m very sound sensitive. This leaves me unable to leave my house very often or for very long. My neurologist has me on amitriptyline and magnesium and I have completed 2 rounds of botox, all to no avail. I have had neurological exams and MRI and CT scans that show nothing. I would very much appreciate any advice.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Is your headache on one side your head? Could be Hemicrania Continua which would respond very well to Indomethacine, ask your neurologist about this. Also my son had a similar condition (one sided continuous headache, all the other symptoms that you described but more sensitivity to noise rather than light), it turned out the whole thing was being caused by very severely impacted wisdom teeth. So if you have not had your wisdom teeth taken out then you have nothing to lose by seeing a dentist and having them x-rayed and taken care of.
  • Posted

sorry to hear that, I feel the same, had enough of the migraines, hope you get some releif soon
  • Posted

Hi, there isn't a migraine sufferer among us who doesn't identify with some aspect, some symptom of a migraine.  Many are on amitriptyline as well as magnesium and an assortment of other meds.  I have had migraines on a daily basis along with throbbing pressure headaches for nearly 14 years now.  I have had every test, every scan, every nerve bloc, nearly every medication.  I too had two rounds of Botox--the first lasted three weeks, the second three hours.  I'm done with Botox as well as 3 rounds of acupuncture.  The only thing that helps me is Relpax which can be taken only three times a week.    Every one of us is different and what works for one will not necessarily work for another.  Don't give up.  Try something else or seek another neurologist.  In any case, good luck to you, hang in there and take one day at a time.
  • Posted

Thank you so much rob16059, shaheen35354 and mrcia78574. i realise everyone here is coping with migrainous symptoms too. my migraine symptoms are not confined to one side of the head although i will ask my neurologist about

Hemicrania Continua. i asked about my wisdom teeth before but the neurologist said it wouldn't cause my symptoms, however, i am going to ask again and i'll go to my dentiast about it too. i'll ask about Relpax too, i never heard of it before so thanks for the tip. thnaks again for all the replies and the well wishes, it's good to feel you are not alone.

• Posted

Hello, I suffer from chronic migraine & am still working on finding relief. My neurologist is sending me to a anesthesiologist that treats migraines. Mine are due to physical abnormality, I have been suffering from migraines for about thirty years. They have progressively gotten worse in my 40's on. I went to the med check yesterday for an injection of toradol. It helped & I'm OK today. I'm hoping to get a nerve block or some such treatment from the anesthesiologist tomorrow. Anyway I talked to a nurse at the med check & she gave me the name of headache clinic in Chicago,Illinois. I don't know where you live but her neighbor is there for a week to find out how they can help. The name of the place is; The Diamond Headache Unit 2900 North Lake Shore Dr. Chicago, Il 60657 1-877-737-4636 / Presence Saint Joseph Hospital. I'm sorry for your suffering, I hope you get some positive results. Sincerely Llf7860
  • Posted

The phone number for the Diamond Headache Unit I gave was incorrect. The correct # is 1-773-3886390. Llf7860
  • Posted

Hi Llf7860,

thanks for the reply, sorry you are having such a hard time of it. i live in Ireland so i won't be able to visit the clinic in Illinois but thanks for the tip. my hopes rest on the wisdom teeth for now i think. i hope you get some relief soon. thanks again

• Posted

Hi Brid,

Dr Martin Rutledge at the Hermitage Centre (sorry not sure where else he works) in Dublin is considered one of the best. That said it is still trial and see what works.....

• Posted

Hi,there. Don't know if you are male or female or what age, but if female, have your hormones levels checked. I added bioidentical progesterone and it made a big difference. Also natural supplements such as 5htp (which also helps with weight loss), vitamin B2, butterbur, and feverfew. I also take magnesium glycinate which is one of the most absorbable forms. Mag oxide is useless. Try to exercise more and reduce stress levels. Stress is a huge factor. Have you had an opthamologist take a look and rule out any eye concerns?  I ordered a pair of special glasses with an FL41 tint  to help with the light sensitivity in stores, etc. They really help. Hope some of these suggestions work for you. You are not alone. Migraine is a huge complex problem. Keep trying different things and eventually you will find your answer.    Feel better.                         
  • Posted

Hi Patricia, thanks for the reply. yes, i'm female and i'm 49. i had me hormones done alrigth and i'm menopausal, but these symptoms pre-date that. the earlier tests all ruled out the menopause. i haven't tried most of the supplements you suggest so i'll look at them, thanks. mag didn't help me and i've tried the glasses to no avail, i wear sunglasses at all times outside the house but the migraine types are no better (and some are worse) than the regular polorized types. an opthomologist checked my eyes and they are fine.

thanks for the well wishes, i hope you feel better soon too.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply helen, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it's been a bit rough lately and i had a few docs appointments last week. i feel a little bit better since my latest round of botox last friday, it took a few days to kick in and it got me from a 9 to a 5 on average. still need to improve a lot more before everyday tasks will be normal for me again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.