is there anyone who got this when they were 32 yrs old or younger

Posted , 3 users are following.

my info that i have gathered said the odds of getting this at such an early age was 1/3 of 1% of the population. ive had it for 17 years and im now 48  i have had up until now no pain at all.  now i have nerve pain that gets only up to level 4 on a scale of 1-10  which is well in tolerance level and is not frequent. and my lower back hurts only because im bent forward and the lower muscles have to accomodate the change shift in weight.  one VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION i hope can be answered is.  is the pain that almost everyone is talking about nerve pain or inflammation pain or something else.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I can't positively say for sure, but I was in intermittent discomfort with muscle spasms from my early 30s. It's known that this disease is a very slow forming growth of spurs covering the facets and joints of our bone structure so it can be over 25 to 30 years before the effects are felt. April this year, I was told that my last x-ray clearly showed DISH. (Forestiers disease.) I'd had several x-rays to check why I was in pain, more often of late than past years! I'd obviously had my time! Now approaching 59, these past 4 months, I'm in discomfort daily. It's still muscle spasms but recently, I've been struggling with neck ache. It's something that changes in severity daily. I feel like it's a muscle issue but? Could it be that these awful spurs are growing along my cervical spine and are now bad enough to cause my discomfort? Thing is, no doctor has shown me my x-ray or given me any definitive prognosis. This is where this and other forums provide information. The symptoms take years to come to light and that we know. People are effected in different ways. Most just spine spurs, others have it on elbows, feet, neck. Mine is the length of the spine. I'm told the resulting stiffness is what causes the muscles to spasm so pain meds and ibuprofen is recommended. It seems that a cure isn't available and that you can't just have the spurs removed because they apparently reform quickly. Best thing we sufferers can do is keep as mobile as possible and get out and about while we can. Let's hope that medical science can come up with a treatment to at least halt further progression.

• Posted

i have bone spurs in every major joint in my body . my neck is entirely one big mass of bone leading half way down my thoracic region. my spinal canal has spurs but not enough to cause alot of damage or nerve pain. its starting to work on my toes and fingers now.     YOU REALLY SHOULD GET YOUR X-RAYS.  some people dont want to know things or see it . but personally i couldnt go through my life with out seeing it . it helps me not only to deal with whats happening. but also gives me information for research in order to make VERY IMPORTANT DECISIONS about what treatment options i should do or not do. doctors make mistakes, and education can save your own life when they have missed something they should have seen.  when i had appendisitis  , i went to the emergency room and I TOLD THEM WHAT I HAD .  they sent doctor , after doctor,  for about 5-6 hours they couldnt figure it out till they sent some one who had experience, ((( RHODE ISLAND HOSPITAL)))) HAS ALOT OF doctors (((in training))))),   so its not entirely their fault.  to learn in school is one thing, to practice on a live person is another.  but it could have saved me some pain and alot of time if i had been more determined to take control over the situation.  
    • Posted

It's apparent from this forum that the participants mostly live in the USA. Perhaps here in the UK, awareness is worse, hence lack of input. I'm definitely going to see my doctor again and push for more positive action / treatment if indeed available. Taking meds to ease pain isn't the answer. I'll post any results I get, ' if any' on this forum. I'll try get a copy of my x-ray, if only for curiosity as currently, what we all have in common is discomfort and steadily advancing reduced mobility. Fingers crossed that we get more positive answers in the near future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.