Is there anyone who HASN'T gained weight on Mertazapine?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I started on 15mg of Mert just less than two weeks ago. Just wondering if there's anyone who can put my mind at ease about the weight gain side effect, or their lack of?

Thanks! smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I lost 6kgs over 6 months. Took a lot of hard work with exercise and diet. I just refused to give into hunger pans and went to the gym and walk/ran a lot.

It can be done - best of luck x

• Posted

I've found that I'm hungry all of the time since been on them, it's just about controlling how much you eat and distracting yourself when you feel really Hungry x
  • Posted

I haven't gained any weight in 6 years on mirtazapine. I've eaten sensibly, and I can't take a lot of exercise because of other health problems. So weight gain is not inevitable.
  • Posted

hi,i put on weight ,1stone.So what-i'd rather be well with a bit of extra weight than not.
  • Posted

Hi srephanie. I have today been prescribed mirt 15 mg. For once i thought I'd read about what i was about to take.  I'm a bit wary having seen so many negative comments about it, but my GP didnt just dish out the pills for no reason. Amitryptolyn (sp) didnt seem to have much of an effect on my moods so she went through my history pretty thoroughly so heres hoping. As for weight gain, well thats something that goes with the territory. Ive dealt with eating disorders for most of my life but really just decided that i calmer happier me with a wider girth is more important. Joined a good and relatively inexpensive gym. Good luck hon.
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie. I'm almost 2 years on 45mg mirtazapine. I gained some weight (about 10kg) but mostly muscles, which I'm really glad about. My 6-pack is coming clearer and clearer. I only exercise 1-2 times a week, and no aerobic activity. I try to eat regularly every 4-6 hours, as I figured it's the best time between meals. Plus I sing almost everyday to the music, while I'm home alone. That burns some calories too, plus it enhance and prolong the good mood. Wish you all the best.
  • Posted

I have been on 15mg mirt for 8 weeks together with Sertraline (an SSRI).

That combination restored my appetite to what it was before I got ill (with general anxiety).   I gained less than I lost with the illness.  Now my weight is steady.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.