Is there hope?Nrf2 Master Gene for inflammation.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been reading about nrf2 a gene which basically controls inflammation in the lungs.Smoking damages this gene.Scientists looking at ways of reactivating it.Sulfrophane found in vegetables is supposed to help.Has anyone got more info.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Not read anything myself but sounds interesting.....think I'll be doing some research lol
  • Posted

Unfortunately, also not heard of it, but will also be doing some research. It's probably too late for me by the times trials have been done etc. Interested in the veg side, though. Thanks Richard for the info. Regards, Val
  • Posted

I have COPD and lost my sense of smell 9 years ago - the only time I have been able to smell is when I have been on prednisone - a rather dramatic way to regain that sense! and certainly not a long term solution - however I decided to take garlic for its vitamin and mineral properties and this Sunday I could smell again !!! it lasted on Monday also but it's gone again - no worries - when you lose your sense of smell , even one day of its return is a blessing - also i took garlic in December when I had a lung infection and it cleared it in three days - usually I always need antibiotics - I'm currently taking raw garlic three times a week - one clove - apparently it's supposed to be mashed to obtain the maximum efficacy - I'm attributing the return of my sense of smell to the garlic but , of course, i may be wrong - as well as others I'm very interested in the inflammation topic ,,,
  • Posted

Hi Margaret,

I refuse to take Prednisone, as the side effect send me "off my head" but am interested in your garlic theory. Whenever I have a cold or sore throat, I fancy things like onions and garlic...and I think it's the body's way of telling you what you need. What do you think?

Regards, Val.

• Posted

hi Val - nice to hear from you - the garlic thing is new to me but I'm willing to try anything !! some of the meds we are taking are big gun steroids and i know we need them but it' s nice to consider that something natural (and cheap!!) might have benefits - i'm a 62 year old woman and was diagnosed nine years ago with COPD - both onions and garlic are in the same family and have anti inflammatory properties so i think they hold promise - please keep in touch - it's great to have people to talk to about COPD - margaret
  • Posted

Hi Margaret

Please go on U Tube and look up a lecture Dr Peter Barnes gave in Dec 2013 some very

interesting research getting done on copd.

• Posted

Richard - thank you for this information - i will certainly watch it - talk soon - margaret
  • Posted

Food is medicine.

Certain foods are known to be extremely helpful for lung paitents as well as everyone else, hence the importance of a good diet.

Certain foods are known to be anti inflammatory, you might want to research that as well.

And of course the best option is to avoid smoking and smoke of any kind, smoking also destroys valuable nutrients the body needs to remain healthy.

switch off the bodies warning signs and carry on taking in harmful substance can't see the logic.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.