Is there new meds available

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would like to know what doctors are prescribing now for ibs. I get d all the time with my ibs but self medicate with immodium if i need to go out but end up constipated. if im at home i just let it take its course

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's what my gastro doctor prescribed me and it made me worse! Have you tried colofac or mebeverine? They're good for the pains and that. I had a major allergic reaction to them which I'm gutted about as they're supposed to work wonders! Google them to see if it sounds good for you and ask your doctor smile
  • Posted

I had diarohea for 10 weeks its settled down but still nor normal bm still very soft waiting to get colonscopy so not sure if i have ibs or something more serious its a big worry i have been taking imodium and started drinking green tea and peppermint tea see if that settles eat also cant eat bread anymore sometimes i feel sick and cant eat anything and then sometimes i am really hungry so not sure what i have the doctor has mentioned cancer to me which has frightened the life out of me
    • Posted

Christine, 

i had cancer mentioned to me as that was what the colonoscopy was looking for as well as any other clinical issues. I had the same symptoms as you, albeit we all differ varying degrees and the consultant has diagnosed me with IBS, so please try not to worry as anxiety may also be a reason for IBS. Imodium is for short term relief only and I was warned over excessive use of it.

i am on mebevrine (colafac MR) and it does appear to help. I have recently started on probiotic capsules and intend starting prebiotic to see if they aid the symptoms. Dave

• Posted

Hi

I was given Bentylol. Imodium only when I can't stop going to the bathroom. Bentylol is an antispasmodic. I was also given pain killers T ylenol 3 and oxys but they calm pain only and wipe you out. I do not like them.

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.