is this a flare or just annoying?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went from 17.5mg 16.125mg yesterday and within 6 hours of doing so, I broke out in a rash head to toe. Taking benadryl but it hasn't helped (other than to knock me out). I know rashes can happen when you taper from prednisone, but my question is this: So is this considered a flare? Should I increase my steroid dose? 

btw the itching is driving me insane. And I look ever so pretty.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa; I don't know much re the reducing in prednisone (as I don't suffer from PMR/GCA, but why / what does the Benadryl do to help the rash......here in Aussie it is only used for Colds/Flu etc as a Decongestant???   have you tried an anti-histamine from over the counter at a pharmacy?......something like Advil/Zertac??....Bron
    • Posted

Bronwyn, I think you may be muddling Benadryl up with Benylin. Benadryl is an anti hystamine. It is probably worth Lisa having a word with her pharmacist to find something that may work. It does not sound like a PMR flare, it may even be nothing to do with the pred of course but some sort of allergy.
    • Posted

That's why I mentioned Aussie land, for no, here Benadryl IS a Cough/Decongestant.......have not heard of Benylin  (will google that, as it is unfamilar to me)............I have Always used Benadryl for all my children and still do to this day, on myself and any family members who have a Chesty cough/congested nasal passages/sinuses.....have always felt that it is the Best Decongestant.................Bron
    • Posted

Bron you are absolutely right, it is a decongestant in Oz, how muddling!
    • Posted

Here in US Benadryle is used for bee/wasp stings, or even for dogs if they get allergic reaction to something, also comes in a spray to spray on stings, mosquito bites, someone even suggested it to me to help me get to sleep, but I haven't tried that. 
    • Posted

This muddle with names of medicines is exactly why we asked on another thread, that in your pofile you added your country.  You can use no more that 15 words and space.

ie Layne TX USA  would mean Texas United States of America.

bronwyn927278AUS would be one over so would need to drop a letter or use OZ.

ptolemy UK but could add an area like NW UK.

It all helps us when replying so please consider altering your profile. smile

• Posted

Morning Layne and Ptolomy; I have just noted Layne's spelling, and there is an added "e" to your drug spelling.............could be the difference...........and does make a difference, if I were travelling and asked for "what I thought I wanted, but something completely".......won't bother anwering lodger  (this is not a site for "put downs"
    • Posted

HUH? Oh, I'm confused by these posts... I'm a terrible speller, so I was just commenting on the over the counter drug very commonly used here, sorry if I caused confusion.  I should be more careful.  My appologies. 
    • Posted

Layne, no need to apologise, we all get confused sometimes by these posts.

I am now confused by bronwyns post about 'not answering lodger'.

• Posted

Lisa

Is the pred you are taking enteric coated?

If so wash the dye off it can be the cause of the rash as many have found.

Check any OTC purchases with a pharmacist for compatibility before you buy.

• Posted

thankyou lodger UK NE; that is very interesting for everyone.....had Never thought of that, and soooo many drugs are Enteric coated, so is good to know............
  • Posted

I have similar experience but instead of a rash I have large red itchy blotches.  It is miserable.  

The information I got is that it is immune-mediated, stemming from an immune-system mis-fire. The body is fighting something going on in your system.

The first time this occurred for me. I had just been diagnosed with PMR. I do not know if there is a connection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.