Is this a incisional hernia???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I am 4 weeks post op laparoscopic myomectomy. Just two days ago I started feeling a mild pain/discomfort right above my belly Button (the myomectomy incision is below my belly button). On that same day, I also had just started getting PMS symptoms as well (breast tenderness, low grade fever). My belly also got a little bigger since that day.

The pain from my belly button is like a mild burning. I also feel sharp pain as well at times. Pressing on it, hurts the most.

So I went to see my OBgyne today and she felt on my belly button where the pain was and immediately said its NOT a hernia. She said she would be able to feel through it. She says the pain is from the stitches that she placed there after the surgery. But I just don't understand why the pain would suddenly start 4 weeks later? I asked my OBgyne and she stated that's it's a part of healing and stitches move around etc.

Also, the pain does NOT get worse with coughing or straining. The pain has no effect on my abdominal muscles at all. It's mainly on the surface. So if I irritate that spot it would start hurting. There's also a small lump under the skins surface also (my doctor felt that lump today and didn't feel it was a hernia). But when I cough, the lump does not come out. The pain also comes and goes.

So what kind of pain is associated with an incisional hernia? Is it mainly related to the use of abdominal muscles? What other symptoms are there if I had an incisional hernia?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jessica, when I developed an incision hernia after an emergency appendectomy and abdominal wash, the first thing I noticed was a small lump that would appear when I stood up bit disappeared when I lay down. I also started to feel pain and a 'dragging sensation when exercising, and carrying out daily tasks such as shopping and housework. I had pain when I coughed or sneezed - and if I was lying down at the time the lump would also appear.

The hernia became noticeable around six-eight weeks after my surgery. I would suggest keeping a close eye on things, and if nothing changes or you start to feel other symptoms, go back to your doctor - would it be worth seeing if you can get an appointment with another GP? If you can get a referral for an ultrasound the test would (should) show if you have a hernia or not.

If you develop a high temperature, and have severe pain/redness at the surgical site don't wait - go straight back to the hospital.

• Posted

Hi Ellicopter

Did the bulge disappear when you used to lay down. I am 4 months post abdominal surgery and can feel a big bump under my incisional area. I cannot feel it when lying down . My surgeon doesn't feel it's an incisional hernia and wants me to keep a watch. He recommended a ct scan incase this becomes bad. Can an ultrasound detect incisional hernias?

• Posted

Hi there. Yes it disapear when I laid down. But when u ate it bulged out bad. They did a catscan an discovered then
  • Posted

I have a hard area around where my tube was located.   Sometimes it is painful and I have been using ice packs/heating pad to help deal with the pain.    My doctor took the tube out this past Monday and the hole is slowly healing.    Now- to get my appetite back to where it was originally!!!    I really have to be cautious on what food I eat!    This is a challenge, to say the least!!
  • Posted

Hi Jessica

I had a inscional hernia. Above my belly button. Every time I ate it would bulge out. And got bigger. I actually. Had the hernia surgery. The bulge is gone. Had some complications during the procedure. But everything is fine. 5 weeks out

• Posted

You are so lucky that everything is fine now.   So glad to read this.   I had my tube removed last Monday and have had so many days of intense itching where the tube was located.   Also, I am frustrated because my appetite still is not where it should be.   Can just eat very small portions of food.    And depending on what I eat, the food comes back up again---- ugh!!!      But my hernia was really large- so that is one reason why I am having a lot of difficulty.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.