Is this a return of IBS or should I be worried?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Okay, I'm a 20 year old male and was diagnosed with IBS at the age of 12. I was overweight, anxious and stressed a lot which really messed with my stomach. However, around the age of 15 I lost weight and grew in Confidence thus almost completely ridding me of my IBS symptoms. However, in June of this year, I had a sudden onset of Diarrhea one day. I would go to the toilet and once done I felt like I could go again. This felt like it could have been some kind of infection or bug. It went on for a week or two and really began to worry me. From then on I began obsessing over my bowel movements and worrying about having some serious underlying problem which was causing this diarrhea. The diarrhea did, however, clear up and completely stopped; only it left with IBS like symptoms again. Symptops, some of which I didn't really have last time, that are very IBS-like, such as: Bloating, occasional stomach pain, light brown mucusy looking stools, and i've had nausea once or twice. I should state, however, that during the past month or so I have been severly stressed and my anxiety is sky high. My first thought when I wake up is "I might have cancer" and my last thought before I go to sleep is the same. I've lost a few people close to me and I was constantly arguing with my Mother around this period too which really stressed me out the point of feeling depressed.

My stools, however, change so much. Which makes it hard to pin-point what could be wrong with me. They started a yellow kinda colour, and broken up. Then when I was relaxed and not really thinking about it, they would go back to normal colour but would be broken up and rough looking, and fairly easy to pass. When I would get really worried I would then pass diarrhea (which I know is because I'm nervous about my health), and then I'd go back to the mucusy looking stool. 

Over the past few days I've really tried hard to relax, and surprise surprise no stomach pain, bloating or mucus in my stools. I had a small bout of constipation which pased with in a day and then I finally passed what looked like a normal poop. The colour had gone back to normal and the shape was kinda healthy looking. However, after this when I go to the toilet I pass what looks like a normal stool (smooth-ish, fairly long) but it has broken up pieces of stool around it, some of which looks quiet flat looking. It seems odd that I can have a normal stool with something that is abnormal looking around it. If anyone has been through something similar I'd really like to hear from you. The Dr said it could just be my IBS flaring up again, but didn't really do much else other than a blood test. Which came back clear apart from my liver results being "slightly raised"? 

Apologies for this being all over the place, but my head kind of is at the moment as I've been so anxious about my health. I've just moved into my own place and I'm waiting to start uni, so I've had nothing to do with my time other than sit around by myself thinking I'm dying, which can't be helping my mental health at all. I think i've convinced myself I've had three different types of Cancer in the space of 2 month... haha.  

Thanks,

Shaun

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like classic IBS to me just drink more water cut back on spicy fatty foods and citrus, watch some of your your fruit it can cause problems and eat your green vegetables. I'm sure you've heard of the FODMAP diet follow that at least while you're having problems. I'm not a doc but from what I've read and what I have your idea sounds a little mild right now so get on some good probiotics and do some reading and eat smaller meals.
    • Posted

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply! Don't you think it's odd though that the symptoms are a little different this time round? Especially after it being gone for so long?

I'm hoping it is just IBS. I've read about IBS PI (post infection) which could of occured after my bout of diarrhea. 

• Posted

Yep you're right on track from what I read I vs changes all the time with people some people get the same exact thing but it there's a lot of variables what you eat how much a drink how much stress even if I get sick or stomach flu or postnasal or if I get a sinus infection and I'm swallowing snot it'll mess my stomach up a lot of it's about pho also so look it acidic foods and stay away from them too you're like me you read into it but I read into it enough where I'm not as worried about it anymore I just do what I need to do and the right probiotics have helped me tremendously that's a biggie I'm also lactose intolerant I stay away from gluten even if I don't have a gluten allergy wash all your fruit I eat organic if I can anything can mess with your stomach once it gets out of balance
  • Posted

Sounds like IBS   to me   Doc says to me drink plenty of water keep off any spicy food check Dairy not the culprit also gluten Its a minefield I can gos for weeks and more or less Ok but then - as now it seems to flare up and nothing seems tro work Docs dont know what to do  -they think it was probab ly triggered by a virus Ihave so many tests and scans all come back negative though but it is linked with anxitey and strees but as I said to Doc the stress is coming from the IBS it does seem in fairness to Docs they genuinly dont know I have been to top Consultant in the field and she coukd find nothing So good luck  with your's
    • Posted

Thanks, David. The anxiety seems to be causing the bloating and bringing on some kind of flare up. Went to the toilet today, had to strain a little to pass the stool and was shocked when I saw some bright red blood on toilet paper. Really makes me freak out and think I have bowel cancer or something. It's really making me panic! Good luck to you, too, David 
    • Posted

Blood dissapeared after one wipe but it still seemed weird. 
  • Posted

It took me three and a half months of tests and eight doctors to diagnose me with IBS. I too worried about several different types of cancer because  I googled so much in an effort to find possible causes that I could ask the doctor about.  I panicked every second of the day and couldn't concentrate on reading, writing poetry or do anything that I enjoyed.  I lived every day for a diagnosis.  As each test came back negative, my anxiety increased.  So I sympathise with you greatly in your traumas and know what you're going through.
    • Posted

What kind of tests were done to find this out? I hear what you're saying about not being able to concentrate. I've lost interest in quite a few things myself. Hopefully starting uni will take my mind off of it a bit. There's no doubt that something is going on in my stomach, and when I completely forget about it it seems to go, other than my stools not really being the exact same as they were before. I guess what gets me worried again is the "what if i leave it too late and it's something serious" which starts the cycle all over again. It's taking over my life at the minute, unfortunately. Hope you're getting things back on track! 

Shaun

• Posted

I had an ultrasound to scan the organs surrounding my stomach.  Nothing was found.  I also had an internal examination which had to be abandoned because I could not tolerate the discomfort.  Initially, it was thought I had a kidney/urinary tract infection because the pain radiated up both sides of my back,  I also had a urine sample tested but it was negative.  The doctor, gave me antibiotics in case the test was giving a false result.  I felt worse on them so they then gave me Mebeverine to see if it was IBS.  I had horrible side effects within minutes of taking them.  I then had a stool test to look for H Pylori which was clear.  At my request, they tested for celiac which showed nothing, and they then suggested I should have the ultrasound redone and an MRI or CAT to make up for the test I couldn't face.

At this stage, I had an eighth opinion and this time the doctor suggested there was no point in putting me through all the same tests again since no new symptoms had appeared in three months and my pain was no worse. He finally diagnosed me with IBS and then I had a Calpractin test to look for Crohns or Colitis which was negative.

He didn't prescribe anything but I tried Buscopan myself which helped.  I remembered that my brother was put on Buscopan for his IBS and it worked for him.

• Posted

Hi Phillipa    well I think I could have wrtten that for you mine is almost a mirror image - except Buscopan I cant take either did try Hypnotherapy but I am not suitable for it which apparently some ppl arnt very unpleasant experiabnce been to top Gut Hospital St Marks near Wembly they are as much in the dark can tell me veryting it isnt but not what it is and causing it said to try and not get stressed   about thngs  too much  but as I said its the IBS  that is giving me the stress

Good to know there is someone else out there with same experiance - although not pleasnt for either of us is it

:  David

• Posted

I've had almost 4 months in Italy from June till now and I will be returning to the UK at the beginning of October.  Long walks on the beach, lots of sun and sea bathing have reduced my stomach pain tremendously.  I'll have to try and do more walking in Britain.  I live on the south coast of England, five minutes from the sea and we have a lovely promenade so there's no excuse!

The main thing for me is to try and cut down on stress which caused the IBS in the first place.  That should be a challenge.

• Posted

Definitely I've convinced myself of quite a few maladies related to what were in reality just a range of symptoms of bloating.

I get to sounding like a broken record on this forum, but the only (and reliable) thing that I have ever been able to do to get things fully back to normal was to cut back drastically on the food for a couple of days, a short fasting.

I kind of feel like kicking myself for a lot of needless worry, for the loss of sleep and for the useless doctor visits over the years.  Stress played a part, but the fasting always took care of things ans so is my go-to cure for all things related to gastro discomfort.

• Posted

Hey, Dan. Thanks for the reply! Yeah I pretty much fasted when I was younger and that's how I lost weight. That probably helped it go. I've always had a nervous stomach, even when the other general symptoms went, it would take something like an argument with someone to make me need to rush to the toilet. However, this feels like a full return of it. Like I said though, the 4-5 year gap is what's worrying me? How it could just come back like this. 
  • Posted

Hi shaun,

I have spent several weeks trawling through countless forums in a bit to rid me of my anxieties however, this is the first website I've registered to just so I can respond to your post. I literally could have wrote that myself. In the last couple of months I have managed to convince myself that I have colon, stomach and most recently brain cancer!

At the moment I'm suffering a lot with my bowels and have been for several weeks. What's really frustrating is that I play tricks on myself all of the time. I was suffering from pains in the top of my stomach for two weeks or so, like a hot knife being placed under my chest and lots of gas. Naturally, I thought "this is 100% stomach cancer". I lost sleep, I drove my partner mad and my obsessive checking of my stools for blood (oh yes with my bare hands) lead me to seek a doctor's advice. A test of my faeces showed no blood and he prescribed me with omeprazole for indigestion and told me to stop eating at 10pm every night which I have to do due to my job and obviously the pain subsided.

But still my brain won't accept this (they call this confirmation bias). Even though I'm in no pain I am now back to checking stools again looking for blood and obsessing over every movement thinking that the cancer is further down in my colon. Back to losing sleep, back to the headaches (which I have started to worry is brain cancer) and back to feeling constantly anxious and obviously very loose stools. It's all I think about from the moment I wake up to the moment I close my eyes. I want to believe that this persistent anxiety is causing my loose and more frequent motions... but there's always that seed of doubt which at any given moment can grow into a huge tree that metaphorically suffocates me! Ha

The irony is I have a degree in psychology and anxiety runs in my family, both sides have it severely. The objective voice in my head is telling me that both of us suffer from anxiety. I am starting to realise that the stomach is very emotionally sensitive and if your worrying as much as me then why wouldn't our stomachs be affected. Of course they are going to be! It would be odd if they wasn't. I went on holiday for a week last month and was fine for 6 days. I don't know why my brain can't accept this is all obviously anxiety!

But then there's that horrible doubt then you can never quite get rid of. I'm sure we will be fine mate - just know that your not alone.

Lee

• Posted

I have been through the same anxieties while I was waiting for a diagnosis for my stomach pain for three months.  I worried about several forms of cancer and constantly examined my stools, though with my eyes!   After several negative tests, I was diagnosed with IBS.  My diagnosis got rid of my terrors mainly brought on by googling my symptoms.
    • Posted

Hey, Lee. You sound exactly the same as me, mate! Two years ago when I was 18 I was so stressed about not being able to find a job that I had horrible anxiety, which caused headaches etc. I too convinced myself I had brain cancer, I had the most weird outer body feelings ever, aching pains all over and my joints felt stiff. But then I got a job, started Uni and it all just faded away. I knew it must have been through stress! 

Couple of month ago I thought I had head and neck cancer because of a swollen lymph node under my chin, I obsessed over this too and guess what? The stomach problems subsided! Because my mind was on something else. It's crazy! 

I went to the Doctor's yesterday, told him how scared I was that it was cancer and he said "There's really more chance of you getting run over"... especially at my age. I said "I know but you always hear of people having it overlooked and diagnosed with IBS" and he said I need to stop worrying as much because it seems like that is bringing on these flare ups. Which I feel like I already know deep down, I just like confirmation aha. He just seemed sure it was my IBS, but there's always that thought in the back of my mind of... what if?! He gave me a pot to take a stool sample in tomorow and prescribed me some Colofac. Immediately as soon as I left I had my appetite back and my stomach felt settled... So that makes me believe more that it's all in my head. However, I'm not just worrying about taking the pot in and getting the results back! 

I really know how you feel too, mate. It takes over your life! I feel like I'm programmed now to just be worried as soon as I wake up for no reason now. And it's gonna take some time to get over that. Like you said with your holiday though, it goes away when you're relaxed and not stressed so maybe we need to look into sorting the anxiety more than the IBS. I used to suffer from it at school because I was worried about going to school and didn't like the place. So imagine what kind of stress we're experiencing by thinking "I'm dying" every second of the day! It's like the ultimate thing to be worried about haha! 

Shaun

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.