Is this a UTI?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My girlfriend and I had sex about a week and a half ago. She came about 4 times throughout the ordeal and I changed the condom after each one for good measure. I don't believe any broke. She also took Plan B the next day just in case. She began bleeding a little after taking this and it lasted 3 days. Now she is reporting having to pee every 30-45 minutes and having a constant awkward feeling in her lower abdomen. Kind of a pulling on her bladder area. No burning while peeing. What could this be?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If no condom broke, why would your girlfriend take the Plan B?  Has she ever taken this before?  Do the two of you have regular sex or is this a relatively new development (I ask because of the extra precautions taken to prevent pregnancy).  If kind of new, could be "honeymoon cystitis" (you can google the term for more info) which is a UTI caused by sexual activity. The symptoms are the same as with a UTI triggered by something other than sex: burning sensation when peeing as well as the frequent urge to go to the bathroom.  

If not, could be a reaction to the extra hormones in Plan B.  This is a list of the possible side effects of the Plan B tablet:  

•  A period that is lighter, heavier, early, or late

•  Nausea

•  Lower abdominal cramps

•  Tiredness

•  Headache

•  Dizziness

•  Breast tenderness

•  Vomiting

However, really the only way to know is for your girlfriend to see her doctor.  UTI's don't always have burning and pain with urination.  Neither do they always have back pain.  Encourage her to make an appointment and see her PCP and tell he/she exactly what you've written here.

• Posted

She was anxious and felt the need to seek Plan B to make sure. We do not have sex very regularly as we have just started to do so and she is away at school out of state most of the year. I believe it is some form of UTI and I will advise her to see a Dr
    • Posted

I think that would be best.  There are so many different things it could be, all relatively minor but annoying (and painful if a UTI goes undiagnosed and untreated).  She might also want to talk to the doctor about some sort of birth control for her since depending solely on a condom doesn't seem to lessen her pregnancy fears.
    • Posted

She went to see a physisican today. They ran a UTI urine test and it came back negative. They did a pregnancy test as well just in case and this also came back negative. They referred her to a OB/GYN to have a full pelvic exam done. Not sure what this could be....sad
    • Posted

This doesn't have to mean it's anything dire, so don't worry until there's something to worry about.  She's a young woman and it never hurts to see the proper doctor since this entire episode apparently started after a prolonged sex session.  This tells me the two (sex and your girlfriend's complaints) are connected.
    • Posted

No UTI, no slipped bladder, no pregnancy. OBGYN sent her to the lab to get some blood work done to test for kidney problems or to see if she's pre-diabetic. So they don't really know what it is.
    • Posted

I can't get beyond the fact that your girlfriend had none of these symptoms until she took the Plan B.  What did the OB/GYN say about that?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.