Is this achalasia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello i am 20 years old. Some time ago i had sport trauma and i drank aspirin and other non steroid antinflamatory meds. However on the 6th day i got terrible symptoms liek some pains i nteh stomach and mainly nausea and burping.  Doctor said its acute gastritis. I begin taking meds  Famotidine and a strict diet. However a strange feeling i began to have. I began to feel like someone is pressing my throat, i also felt a constant need of swallowing like i am going to choke if i dont swallow but i tried to choke and actually i didnt. I mean even if i dont swallow i dont choke but i have very bad feeling. I also have feelin of pressure in my back especially when i eat. When i eat i have the feeling of big heaviness in my back nad throat when i swallow food. Sometimes even liquid causes symptoms. I also start burping like hell when i eat even a piece of bread and when i eat big meals i have the feeling i am goign to vomit . My food never went in my mouth though but i have the feeling like i  am going to throw up because of the rising pressure in my back and throat. All of those symptoms just came suddenly for aobut 24 hours and i was in perfect health before that. I have never experienced such  things by now... Is this achalasia, should i be worried. I am very worried i am so young... i just want to live my life , I have to study, I have to find a job and such things have family... However achalasia will be a big hit under my waist....I really hope its not achalasia but you have experience so please guys tell me what do you think and if you think its not achalasia please specify why. Yes i am a bit hypochondriac but this time i am not kidding i really have very bad symptoms... sad Thank you in advance, I wish you everything best!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I wanted to correct my story. I meant that it took 24 hours for my symptoms to develop. I mean my nausea and hard swallowing gradually worsened in 24 hrs.  I think if it could be esophagitis, gastritis (which i have) or some other kind of throat story caused by the NSAIDs i was taking but i am scared to death from achalasia :X sad
    • Posted

I actually do have symptoms even if i dont eat i still have strange feeling in my throat like mucus is stuck and makes me try swallow it constantly. Most of all i am scared for my stomach and sphincter. My concern is if my sphincter doesnt work properly :X
    • Posted

I also wanted to ask , does achalasia symptoms leave you (do u have relief) when you dont eat or you still feel them ?
  • Posted

It could very well be acute gastritis. Achalasia can only be diagnosed by a Gastroenterologist after running diagnostic testing. Sounds like you should be seeing one anyway just to be sure. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for answering me. The professor doctor told me its insane to think about achalasia but i am still scared. I am hipochondriac but i fear to death from achalasia. Hope i dont have it. Tomorrow i am having the barium swallow test.
  • Posted

There can be many reasons for having difficulty in swallowing, and your story sounds as though it is much more to do with a reaction in your throat itself, possibly as the result of the injury you describe.

I think you shoud try and relax as much as possible (easier said than done) as tension can affect swallowing.   Drink plenty of water.   Avoid food that is spicy or which might irritate your throat, and consider drinking something soothing in case your throat / gullet is still inflamed or sore.   Sometimes the nerve system transfers pain to the back or other parts of the body.   If your pain and discomfort does not improve, there may need to be an examination by a gastroenterologist who might examine you with an endoscope (a miniature camera placed down your throat or through your nose) to see whether there are any signs of inflammation or other marks visible.  Or a barium swallow test that shows how food and liquid go through your system and whether there is any blockage.

I think I would take note of the wise words of your professor doctor.   It is much more likely that you have some temporary gastritis or oesophagitis where the body will heal itself in time, perhaps assisted by medication.   

Try not to be too anxious, as tension does not really help your condition.   I hope it gets better soon.

• Posted

Thank u God bless u! By the way Barium swallow test came back normal.
    • Posted

In that case it rules out achalasia I believe.   Which is good news.
    • Posted

Yeah, they said that only excessive amount of water was found in my stomach which is strange because i havent drank water for like 12 hours and the pylori and esophagus function is normal. So my stomach produces liquids too fast. I have to take it to my GP it could be gastritis...
    • Posted

Problem is that on the barium swallow  it was only liquid and my problems are mainly with hard foods / solid foods... And as i said all symptoms just came like from nowhere.... Damn i was in perfect health before that...
  • Posted

Can somebody please explain what is the early onset of achalasia and what is the exact feeling. How can I know if I really cant swallow or it is just a fake feeling. I burp alot after eating and even when i dont eat...
    • Posted

I do very rarely have pain when i swallow most of the time its painless but you have feeling of heaviness in your back and often in your throat and u burp a lot and i got scared to death that i have achalasia in early stages... sad
    • Posted

RIght now i took a BIG bite to test my swallowing. I swallowed it and after 4-5 seconds i felt urge to burp/belch , the urge passed by itself in 2-3 seconds after that i felt nothing. AFter one minute i began feeling somethinbg stuck in my throat like i didnt swallowed the bite and some heaviness but no pain in the back or in the chest though... Does achalasia hurt even in early onset ?
    • Posted

aand drinking liquids doesnt help for the stuck in the throat feeling...
  • Posted

I think it sounds a bit more like a bolus sensation rather than achalasia, but we are not medically qualified.   My advice would be not to give your system that much of a test.   Eat slowly, chew well, and adopt a relaxed attitude at mealtimes, consistent with sitting upright at a table.   Keep drinking plenty of water.
    • Posted

I hope you are right Alan. I asked here because I thought here i can find people actually suffering from this that might help me. I mean yes i am hipochondriac but my symptoms are a bit worrying sad. And getting achalasia on christmas is something very nasty for sure. I hope I am wrong and I dont have achalasia. Guess the only way to find out is to wait for year or two to pass and to see if i get worse... Just wish me luck mate . I am very scared sad . An year ago i was scared I had ALS... And there is no home test to see if i can actually swallow I guess. A friend of mine told me to eat something and after 40 seconds max, to try to bend over and see if I vomit. I dont know if thats reliable test...
    • Posted

u know my feeling is often located high in the throat not near the end of the breastbone (sternum) or below it but high so it might be anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.